Partial derivatives and chain rule?

In summary, there are two solutions for finding Fxx, with one using the formula Fxx = Fxr.Rx + Fxs.Sx + Fxv.Vx+Fxt.Tx and the other using the formula Fxx = Frx.Rx + Fr.Rxx + Fsx.Sx + Fs.Sxx + Fvx.Vx + Fv.Vxx = Frr.(Rx)^2+Fr.Rxx + Fss.(Sx)^2 + Fs.Sxx + Fvv.(Vx)^2 + Fv.Vxx. To determine which one is correct, one can express F in terms of x, y, z, and t and differentiate.
mohamed el teir
F(r,s,t,v) = r^2 + sv + t^3, where: r = x^2 +y^2+z^2 /// s = xyz /// v = xe^y /// t = yz^2
find Fxx
i have 2 solutions for this and i am not sure what is the right one
the first solution finds Fx then uses formula : Fxx = Fxr.Rx + Fxs.Sx + Fxv.Vx+Fxt.Tx
the 2nd solution find Fx then uses the formula : Fxx = Frx.Rx + Fr.Rxx + Fsx.Sx + Fs.Sxx + Fvx.Vx + Fv.Vxx = Frr.(Rx)^2+Fr.Rxx + Fss.(Sx)^2 + Fs.Sxx + Fvv.(Vx)^2 + Fv.Vxx

Physics news on Phys.org
mohamed el teir said:
F(r,s,t,v) = r^2 + sv + t^3, where: r = x^2 +y^2+z^2 /// s = xyz /// v = xe^y /// t = yz^2
find Fxx
i have 2 solutions for this and i am not sure what is the right one
the first solution finds Fx then uses formula : Fxx = Fxr.Rx + Fxs.Sx + Fxv.Vx+Fxt.Tx
the 2nd solution find Fx then uses the formula : Fxx = Frx.Rx + Fr.Rxx + Fsx.Sx + Fs.Sxx + Fvx.Vx + Fv.Vxx = Frr.(Rx)^2+Fr.Rxx + Fss.(Sx)^2 + Fs.Sxx + Fvv.(Vx)^2 + Fv.Vxx

It should be easy to figure out which one is correct. Just express ##F## in terms of ##x, y, z## and ##t## and differentiate.

PeroK said:
It should be easy to figure out which one is correct. Just express ##F## in terms of ##x, y, z## and ##t## and differentiate.
it was giving me a third answer at first but i discovered a mistake which i made in the calculations, i know the correct one now

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to calculate the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant.

2. How is a partial derivative denoted?

A partial derivative is denoted using the symbol ∂. For example, the partial derivative of a function f(x,y) with respect to the variable x can be written as ∂f/∂x.

3. What is the chain rule for partial derivatives?

The chain rule for partial derivatives is a formula used to calculate the partial derivative of a composite function. It states that the partial derivative of the composite function is equal to the product of the partial derivatives of the individual functions multiplied by the partial derivative of the inside function with respect to the variable in question.

4. When is the chain rule used in real-world applications?

The chain rule for partial derivatives is used in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering to calculate rates of change in complex systems. For example, in physics, the chain rule is used to calculate the velocity of an object moving in a curved path.

5. What are some common mistakes when using the chain rule for partial derivatives?

Some common mistakes when using the chain rule for partial derivatives include forgetting to multiply by the partial derivative of the inside function, mixing up the order of the variables, and failing to properly apply the chain rule when the function has more than two variables. It is important to carefully follow the steps of the chain rule to avoid these mistakes.