Partial Derivatives and using the chain rule

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the partial derivatives of a given equation and using the chain rule to solve for a function with a variable in the denominator. The correct approach is to let u=f(y/x) and use the chain rule to find du/dx, which equals -f'(y/x)*(y/x^2). This leads to the correct solution for the partial derivatives.
gtfitzpatrick

Homework Statement

If V=x[tex]^{3}[/tex]f(y/x) show that x[tex]^{2}[/tex]Vxx + 2xyVxy + y[tex]^{2}[/tex]Vyy = 6V

The Attempt at a Solution

i would normally just use the chain rule to differenciate this with respect to x and then so on but the f(y/x) is throwing me. Do i just treat the f like a constant or is it a whole new function which i have to differenciate first?
thanks
gf

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the chain rule.

ok,
let u = f(y/x)
then du/dx = -f(y/x2)

am i doing this right?

I'm a bit confused now, your f appears to be a function of x and y i.e. f(x,y) but yet you have f(x/y), are you sure that's the problem word for word?

yes its definitely f(y/x) that's what's throwing me...

can you write out the question exactly as it's worded?

its worded exactly like i worded it at the start...do you think the question is wrong?

gtfitzpatrick said:
ok,
let u = f(y/x)
then du/dx = -f(y/x2)

am i doing this right?

No, use the chain rule, du/dx=f'(y/x)*d(y/x)/dx=-y*f'(y/x)/x^2.

gtfitzpatrick said:
ok,
let u = f(y/x)
then du/dx = -f(y/x2)

am i doing this right?
No. You were told to use the chain rule
[tex]\frac{\partial f(y/x)}{\partial x}= f'(y/x)\frac{\partial (y/x)}{\partial x}[/tex]
[tex]= f'(y/x)\frac{\partial yx^{-1}}{\partial x}= - f'(y/x)yx^{-2}= -f'(y/x)\frac{y}{x^2}[/tex]
where "f'(y/x)" is the ordinary derivative of f(x) evaluated at y/x.

thanks lads,
got it worked out, when i looked at the first line in my log tables it all became clear. Thanks for the help

1. What are partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are a type of derivative that measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding the other variables constant.

2. Why do we use partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are useful in multivariate calculus, where functions have more than one independent variable. They allow us to analyze the behavior of a function in different directions and to find the maximum and minimum values of a function.

3. What is the chain rule in partial derivatives?

The chain rule in partial derivatives is a method for finding the derivative of a composite function, where one function is nested inside another. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

4. How do we apply the chain rule in partial derivatives?

To apply the chain rule in partial derivatives, we first identify the outer and inner functions, then we take the partial derivative of the outer function with respect to the inner function, and finally we multiply it by the partial derivative of the inner function with respect to the original variable.

5. What are some real-world applications of partial derivatives and the chain rule?

Partial derivatives and the chain rule have many applications in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. For example, they can be used to analyze the behavior of a chemical reaction, to optimize production costs in a manufacturing process, or to find the optimal path for a spaceship to travel from one planet to another.