• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Partial derivatives of implicitly defined functions

• Thread starter compliant
  • Start date
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
If the equations

[tex]x^2 - 2(y^2)(s^2)t - 2st^2 = 1[/tex]
[tex]x^2 + 2(y^2)(s^2)t + 5st^2 = 1[/tex]

define s and t as functions of x and y, find [tex]\partial^2 t / \partial y^2[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Equating the two, we get 4y^2*s^2*t = -7s*t^2. My main problem is, as simple as this sounds, how do I implicitly differentiate a single term with three variables? (i.e. 4y^2*s^2*t) Because if I can implicitly differentiate it in terms of y, I can probably find [tex]\partial t / \partial y[/tex] in terms of the other partial derivatives.

djeitnstine

Gold Member
Partial differentiation is not implicit differentiation if that's what you mean. You simply treat all other variables as constant. In this case you get 8y*s^2 etc...

But how would I get the partial derivative of t wrt y from there? I mean, aren't we assuming t is a function of x and y (and with s as well?) ?

So let me try this out:

8y*s^2*t + 4y^2([tex]2 \partial s / \partial y[/tex])t + 4y^2*s^2*([tex] \partial t / \partial y[/tex]) = -7([tex] \partial s / \partial y[/tex])*t^2 - 7s([tex]2 \partial t / \partial y[/tex])

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
Gold Member
But how would I get the partial derivative of t wrt y from there? I mean, aren't we assuming t is a function of x and y (and with s as well?) ?
Don't combine your two original equations; instead differentiate each one with respect to [itex]y[/itex]--- you will end up with two equations, each involving [itex]\frac{\partial s}{\partial y}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\partial t}{\partial y}[/itex], which you can then solve for [itex]\frac{\partial t}{\partial y}[/itex].

Don't combine your two original equations; instead differentiate each one with respect to [itex]y[/itex]--- you will end up with two equations, each involving [itex]\frac{\partial s}{\partial y}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\partial t}{\partial y}[/itex], which you can then solve for [itex]\frac{\partial t}{\partial y}[/itex].
Sounds like a plan. So let me try this again...

[-4y[itex]s^2[/itex]t - 2[itex]y^2[/itex]([itex]2s\frac{\partial s}{\partial y})t[/itex] - 2[itex]y^2 s^2[/itex]([itex]\frac{\partial t}{\partial y}[/itex])] + [-2([itex]\frac{\partial s}{\partial y})t^2[/itex] - 2s([itex]2 \frac{\partial t}{\partial y})[/itex]] = 1

[4y[itex]s^2[/itex]t + 2[itex]y^2[/itex]([itex]2s\frac{\partial s}{\partial y})t[/itex] + 2[itex]y^2 s^2[/itex]([itex]\frac{\partial t}{\partial y}[/itex])] + [5([itex]\frac{\partial s}{\partial y})t^2[/itex] + 5s([itex]2 \frac{\partial t}{\partial y})[/itex]] = 1

[3([itex]\frac{\partial s}{\partial y})t^2[/itex] + 3s([itex]2 \frac{\partial t}{\partial y})[/itex]] = 2

Is there a way to eliminate the [itex]\frac{\partial s}{\partial y}[/itex] term?

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
Gold Member
Sounds like a plan. So let me try this again...

[-4y[itex]s^2[/itex]t - 2[itex]y^2[/itex]([itex]2s\frac{\partial s}{\partial y})t[/itex] - 2[itex]y^2 s^2[/itex]([itex]\frac{\partial t}{\partial y}[/itex])] + [-2([itex]\frac{\partial s}{\partial y})t^2[/itex] - 2s([itex]2 \frac{\partial t}{\partial y})[/itex]] = 1

[4y[itex]s^2[/itex]t + 2[itex]y^2[/itex]([itex]2s\frac{\partial s}{\partial y})t[/itex] + 2[itex]y^2 s^2[/itex]([itex]\frac{\partial t}{\partial y}[/itex])] + [5([itex]\frac{\partial s}{\partial y})t^2[/itex] + 5s([itex]2 \frac{\partial t}{\partial y})[/itex]] = 1
Careful, when you differentiate an equation, you need to differentiate both sides of it.

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial y} (1)\neq 1[/tex]

Is there a way to eliminate the [itex]\frac{\partial s}{\partial y}[/itex] term?
Sure....you have 2 equations and 2 unkowns; think back to your high school algebra :wink:

Careful, when you differentiate an equation, you need to differentiate both sides of it.

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial y} (1)\neq 1[/tex]

Sure....you have 2 equations and 2 unkowns; think back to your high school algebra :wink:
Ok, so now I have

[tex]3t^2 \frac {\partial s}{\partial y} = -6s \frac{\partial t}{\partial y}[/tex]
[tex]\frac {\partial s}{\partial y} = \frac{-2s}{t^2} \frac{\partial t}{\partial y}[/tex]

I sub this back into the first equations to get [itex]\frac{\partial t}{\partial y}[/itex]. However, I get a different value for [itex]\frac{\partial t}{\partial y}[/itex] when I plug it into the second equation. If I'm going to write the answer, would I write them both down? Because I feel there really should only be one answer...

Last edited by a moderator:

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving