Partial Differentiation Laplace Equation Question

In summary: Sorry about that.In summary, the Laplace Equation of a semi-infinite strip with boundary conditions of ##u_x(0,y) = u_x(\pi,y) = 0## and ##u(x,\infty) = 0## cannot have a solution of ##u(x,0) = \cos x##. The general solution for this problem involves a constant ##a_0## and a series of coefficients ##a_n## and ##\alpha_n##, and the visualization of the problem should be updated to reflect the correct boundary conditions.
Dopplershift

Homework Statement

Consider the Laplace Equation of a semi-infinite strip such that 0<x< π and y>0, with the following boundary conditions:
\begin{equation}
\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} (0, y) = \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} (0,\pi) = 0
\end{equation}

\begin{equation}
u(x,0) = cos(x) \text{for}\ 0<x<\pi
\end{equation}

\begin{equation}
u(x,y) = \to 0 \ \text{as} \ y \to 0 \ \text{for}\ 0<x<\pi
\end{equation}

Homework Equations

General Solution:
\begin{equation}
\begin{split}
u(x,y) = \frac{a_0}{2L}(L-y) + \sum_{n = 1}^\infty \alpha_n sinh(\frac{n\pi}{L})(L-y)cos(\frac{n\pi x}{L}) \\
\text{where} \ \alpha_n = \frac{a_n}{sinh(n\pi} \\
\text{where} \ a_n = \frac{2}{L} \int_0^L cos(\frac{n\pi x}{L}) f(x) dx
\end{split}
\end{equation}

The Attempt at a Solution

I am asking if I setup the problem right so far.
The visualization (i.e my picture of how I visualize the problem) The boundary conditions.
diagram1.png

My attempt so far:
\begin{equation}
u_{xx} + u_{yy} = 0
\end{equation}

Assume:
\begin{equation}
u = F(x)G(y)
\end{equation}

Thus:
\begin{equation}
\begin{split}
u_{xx} = F''(x)G(y) \\
u_{yy} = F(x)G''(y) \\
F''(x)G(y) + F(x)G''(y) = 0 \\
\end{split}
\end{equation}
From this, we can define the following:
\begin{equation}
\frac{F''(x)}{F(x)} = \frac{G''(y)}{G(y)} = K \ \text{some constant}
\end{equation}
If u(x,0) = cos(x)
\begin{equation}
F(x)G(0) = cos(x) \\
\end{equation}
Can I assume that G(y) is equal to sin(y)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dopplershift said:

Homework Statement

Consider the Laplace Equation of a semi-infinite strip such that 0<x< π and y>0, with the following boundary conditions:
\begin{equation}
\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} (0, y) = \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} (0,\pi) = 0
\end{equation}

\begin{equation}
u(x,0) = cos(x) \text{for}\ 0<x<\pi
\end{equation}

\begin{equation}
u(x,y) = \to 0 \ \text{as} \ y \to 0 \ \text{for}\ 0<x<\pi
\end{equation}

Homework Equations

General Solution:
\begin{equation}
\begin{split}
u(x,y) = \frac{a_0}{2L}(L-y) + \sum_{n = 1}^\infty \alpha_n sinh(\frac{n\pi}{L})(L-y)cos(\frac{n\pi x}{L}) \\
\text{where} \ \alpha_n = \frac{a_n}{sinh(n\pi} \\
\text{where} \ a_n = \frac{2}{L} \int_0^L cos(\frac{n\pi x}{L}) f(x) dx
\end{split}
\end{equation}

The Attempt at a Solution

I am asking if I setup the problem right so far.
The visualization (i.e my picture of how I visualize the problem) The boundary conditions.
diagram1.png

No: you said that ##u_x(0,y) = 0## and ##u_x(0,\pi) = 0##: I assume you want ##u_x(0,y) = u_x(\pi,y) = 0##. If so, your boundary conditions in the diagram are incorrect: you do not need to have ##u = 0## on the vertical sides; you need ##u_x = 0## on the sides.

Furthermore, you say that ##u(x,0) = \cos x## for ##0 < x < \pi##, and you also say ##u(x,y) \to 0## as ##y \to 0##. These contradict each other; which do you mean?

Ray Vickson said:
No: you said that ##u_x(0,y) = 0## and ##u_x(0,\pi) = 0##: I assume you want ##u_x(0,y) = u_x(\pi,y) = 0##. If so, your boundary conditions in the diagram are incorrect: you do not need to have ##u = 0## on the vertical sides; you need ##u_x = 0## on the sides.

Furthermore, you say that ##u(x,0) = \cos x## for ##0 < x < \pi##, and you also say ##u(x,y) \to 0## as ##y \to 0##. These contradict each other; which do you mean?
Yes, I want ##u_x (\pi,y) = 0,## sorry for the confusion. And also, I meant to write as ##y \to \infty##

1. What is partial differentiation?

Partial differentiation is a mathematical process used to find the rate of change of a multi-variable function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. It is used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, economics, and more.

2. What is the Laplace equation?

The Laplace equation is a partial differential equation that describes the behavior of a scalar field in a given region. It is often used to model physical phenomena such as heat conduction, electrostatics, and fluid flow.

3. How is partial differentiation used to solve the Laplace equation?

Partial differentiation is used to solve the Laplace equation by finding the partial derivatives of the given scalar field with respect to each of its variables. These derivatives are then substituted into the Laplace equation, which can then be solved for the unknown function.

4. What are the applications of the Laplace equation?

The Laplace equation has many applications in various fields of science and engineering. It is commonly used in heat transfer problems, electrostatics, fluid dynamics, and signal processing. It is also used in image and sound processing, as well as in finance and economics.

5. How does the Laplace equation relate to the concept of harmonic functions?

The Laplace equation is closely related to the concept of harmonic functions. A function is said to be harmonic if it satisfies the Laplace equation. These functions have many important properties that make them useful in solving physical problems, such as the mean value property and the maximum principle.