1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial Differentiation Problem

1. Apr 18, 2006 #1
    Hi to all,

I have been given the following problem as an assignment.

[tex] \frac{\partial ^2 \phi}{\partial \rho^2} + \frac{1}{\rho}\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial \rho} + \frac{1}{\rho^2}\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial \chi^2} + \frac{\partial ^2 \phi}{\partial Z^2}+B^2\phi = 0 [/tex]

Here is my attempt to the problem:
    Assuming [tex] \phi = S(\rho,\chi)Z(z) [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{S(\rho,\chi)}\frac{\partial ^2 S(\rho,\chi)}{\partial \rho^2} + \frac{1}{S(\rho,\chi) \rho }\frac{\partial S(\rho,\chi)}{\partial \rho} + \frac{1}{S(\rho,\chi) \rho^2}\frac{\partial S(\rho,\chi)}{\partial \chi^2} + \frac {1}{Z}\frac{\partial ^2 Z}{\partial Z^2} + B^2 = 0 [/tex]

Separating the variables we get

[tex] \frac{\partial ^2 z}{\partial Z^2} + B^2 Z = 0 [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{S(\rho,\chi)}\frac{\partial ^2 S(\rho,\chi)}{\partial \rho^2} + \frac{1}{S(\rho,\chi) \rho }\frac{\partial S(\rho,\chi)}{\partial \rho} + \frac{1}{S(\rho,\chi) \rho^2}\frac{\partial S(\rho,\chi)}{\partial \chi^2} + B^2 = 0 [/tex]

Assuming [tex] S(\rho, \chi) = \rho(\rho) \chi(\chi) [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{\rho}\frac{\partial ^2 \rho}{\partial \rho^2} + \frac{1}{\rho^2 }\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial \rho} + \frac{1}{\rho^2 \chi}\frac{\partial ^2 \chi}{\partial \chi^2} + B^2 = 0 [/tex]

How can I solve this last PDE?

Thank you in advance

Last edited: Apr 18, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2006 #2
    Okay, I haven't actually tried the problem, but you could try first to classify the pde (hyperbolic, elliptic, parabolic). In this case, the class of the pde depends on your choice of [tex]\rho[/tex]. Have you tried it?

4. Apr 18, 2006 #3

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

if you multiply by [tex] \rho^{2} [/tex] you'll be able to separate the variables completely.

5. Apr 19, 2006 #4
    [Hyperreality] Okay, I haven't actually tried the problem, but you could try first to classify the pde (hyperbolic, elliptic, parabolic). In this case, the class of the pde depends on your choice of [tex]\rho[/tex]
    . Have you tried it? [/Q]

I don't know as to which class the PDE falls to. Let me state the whole problem so that it becomes clear to everyone.
    Solve the following

[tex] \frac{\partial ^2 \phi}{\partial \rho^2} + \frac{1}{\rho}\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial \rho} + \frac{1}{\rho^2}\frac{\partial ^2 \phi}{\partial \chi^2} + \frac{\partial ^2 \phi}{\partial Z^2}+B^2\phi = 0 [/tex]

Where: 0 < [tex] \rho [/tex] < R, 0 < [tex] \chi [/tex] < [tex] \pi [/tex], [tex] -\frac{H}{2} < z < \frac{H}{2} [/tex]

The Boundary Conditions are

[tex] \phi(R,\chi,z) = 0 [/tex]
    [tex] \phi(\rho,0,z) = \phi(\rho,\pi,z) = 0 [/tex]
    [tex] \phi(\rho,\chi, \pm \frac{H}{2}) = 0 [/tex]

[Dr Transport] if you multiply by [tex] \rho^{2} [/tex] you'll be able to separate the variables completely. [/Q]

As you suggested to multiply the last PDE by [tex] \rho^{2} [/tex], when separating the PDE's involving both [tex] \rho [/tex] and [tex] \chi [/tex] I still have [tex] \rho^{2} [/tex] on one of the PDE's involving [tex] \chi [/tex]. See below

[tex] \frac{1}{\chi}\frac{\partial ^2 \chi}{\partial \chi^2} + B^2 \rho^2 = 0 [/tex]

And

[tex] \rho \frac{\partial ^2 \rho}{\partial \rho^2} + \frac{\partial \rho}{\partial \rho} + B^2 \rho^2 = 0 [/tex]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?