Partial fractions with complex numb

In summary, Partial fractions with complex numbers is a method used in mathematics to break down complex rational functions into simpler fractions. It helps simplify problems involving complex numbers and is used to solve integrals. To find the partial fraction decomposition, the denominator is factored into linear and irreducible quadratic factors, and the constants are determined using the method of equating coefficients. Special cases include repeated linear, irreducible quadratic, and cubic factors, which require specific methods to find the constants.
Miike012
How do I turn 1/(x4+1) into partial fractions?

This is what I did. Let me know if this is correct

1/(x4+1) = 1/[(x^2+i)(x^2-i)] = (Ax+B)/(x2+i) + (Cx + D)/(x2-1)

Then I set x = 0

1 = (D-B)i .. My first equation would be D-B = 0.

Is that correct so far?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No need to use complex numbers. [itex] x^4+1=(x^2+1)^2-2x^2=(x^2+1+\sqrt{2}x)(x^2+1-\sqrt{2}x) [/itex]

This is a very messy integral to do by hand, by the way.

Last edited:

What is the concept of partial fractions with complex numbers?

Partial fractions with complex numbers is a technique used in mathematics to decompose a complex rational function into simpler fractions. It is similar to the concept of partial fractions with real numbers, but it involves using complex numbers instead.

Why do we use partial fractions with complex numbers?

Partial fractions with complex numbers allow us to simplify complex rational functions and make them easier to work with. It also helps us solve problems involving complex numbers more efficiently.

How do you find the partial fraction decomposition of a complex rational function?

To find the partial fraction decomposition of a complex rational function, we first need to factor the denominator into linear and irreducible quadratic factors. Then, we use the method of equating coefficients to determine the constants in the partial fraction decomposition.

Can we use partial fractions with complex numbers to solve integrals?

Yes, partial fractions with complex numbers can be used to solve integrals involving complex rational functions. By decomposing the function into simpler fractions, we can then integrate each fraction separately using techniques such as substitution or partial fraction decomposition.

Are there any special cases when using partial fractions with complex numbers?

Yes, there are some special cases when using partial fractions with complex numbers. These include repeated linear factors, repeated irreducible quadratic factors, and repeated irreducible cubic factors. In these cases, we use specific methods to determine the constants in the partial fraction decomposition.