1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle free to slide along a frictionless rotating curve

1. Nov 22, 2015 #1

Nathanael

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle (of mass m) is free to move along a frictionless curve y(x) which is rotating about the y axis at a constant angular speed ω. A uniform gravitational field (of strength g) acts along the negative y direction. Find the equation of motion of the particle.
    (That's not the entire problem, but it's enough to explain the discrepancy I'm coming across.)

2. Relevant equations
    ##y'\equiv \frac{dy}{dx}##

3. The attempt at a Newtonian Solution:
    This picture should help explain the force equation:
    rotating_curve.png
    The net force along the curve is due to gravity, namely ##mg\sin(\tan^{-1}(y'))=\frac{mgy'}{\sqrt{1+y'^2}}##

This has to account for the net acceleration in this direction, which comes from two things; the component of xω2 along the curve, and dv/dt the time derivative of the speed of the particle.
    Since ##v=\frac{\dot x}{\cos(\tan^{-1}(y'))}=\dot x\sqrt{1+y'^2}## we have ##\dot v = \ddot x\sqrt{1+y'^2}+\frac{\dot x\dot y' y'}{\sqrt{1+y'^2}}##

Therefore the net-force equation in the direction along the curve is:

##\frac{mgy'}{\sqrt{1+y'^2}}=\frac{x\omega ^2}{\sqrt{1+y'^2}}-\big ( \ddot x\sqrt{1+y'^2}+\frac{\dot x\dot y' y'}{\sqrt{1+y'^2}} \big ) ##

Which can be written a little more nicely:

##x\omega^2-gy'=\ddot x(1+y'^2)+\dot x \dot y'y'##

4. The attempt at a Lagrangian Solution:

For the Lagrangian, I get ##L=\frac{m}{2}(x^2\omega^2+v^2)-mgy##

Where v is the speed as before: ##v=\frac{\dot x}{\cos(\tan^{-1}(y'))}=\dot x\sqrt{1+y'^2}##

So ##L=\frac{m}{2}(x^2\omega^2+\dot x^2(1+y'^2))-mgy##

Then the E-L equation gives:

##\frac{ \partial L}{\partial x}=m(\omega^2x-gy')=\frac{d}{dt}\big (\frac{ \partial L}{\partial \dot x} \big ) = \frac{d}{dt}\big ( m\dot x(1+y'^2)\big ) =m\big (\ddot x(1+y'^2)+2\dot x \dot y' y' \big )##

##x\omega^2-gy'=x(1+y'^2)+2\dot x \dot y' y'##

The right-most term differs by a factor of 2 from the Newtonian method. I can't seem to find the reason for this discrepancy; the force equation seems right to me.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In the E-L approach, did you take into account that ##y'## is a function of ##x##?

4. Nov 22, 2015 #3

Nathanael

Homework Helper

Ohh, so it should have been: ##\frac{ \partial L}{\partial x}=m(\omega^2x-gy'+\dot x^2y'y'')##

Then by the chain rule: ## \dot x y''=\dot y'##

Thus: ##\frac{ \partial L}{\partial x}=m(\omega^2x-gy'+\dot x\dot y'y')##

Which leaves the equation the same as in the Newtonian approach.

I'm used to the discrepancy being due to a mistake in the Newtonian approach... Now I know to be careful with the E-L approach too! Thanks TSny!

5. Nov 22, 2015 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks good.

6. Nov 22, 2015 #5

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Even though they are equivalent, I like the form ##\dot x^2y'y''## rather than ##\dot x\dot y'y'## because ##y'y''## is just a function of ##x## that you can easily get from the curve ##y(x)##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted