Particle in a 1-d potential/ Fokker-Planck(FPE)

Your name]In summary, the conversation discusses a problem regarding a Brownian particle in a potential and its equilibrium state. The Fokker-Planck equation is used to model the system, and the solution for the equilibrium state is derived. The conversation also addresses a situation where a door is opened, changing the equilibrium state of the system. The form of the Fokker-Planck equation remains the same, and the only change needed is the range of integration. The calculations are confirmed to be correct, and the conversation ends with well wishes and apologies for the length of the message.
Abigale
Hi guys,
I have a Problem.
I regard a brownian particle in a potential [itex]U(z)=gz[/itex] with [itex]f=-\frac{d}{dz}U[/itex] and it is connected to a heat reservoir.
The particle is in the interval [itex] z>0 [/itex].

I regard the equilibrium-state.
So I got the FPE.

$$
\frac{\partial}{\partial t} P_{1}(z,t)
=
-\frac{\partial}{\partial z}[\Gamma~f(z)P_{1}(z,t)]
+
\frac{D}{2}
\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial z^{2}} P_{1}(z,t)
=0
$$

$$
\Rightarrow -\Gamma~f(z)P_{1}(z,t)
+
\frac{D}{2}
\frac{\partial}{\partial z} P_{1}(z,t)
=0
$$

The solution is:
$$

P_{eq}(z,t)=\frac{2\Gamma g}{D}\exp{\lbrace\frac{-2\Gamma g z}{D} \rbrace}
$$

Please check if the following callculations are correct? :smile:

Now I regard the situation:

At a certain time [itex]t_{0}[/itex] opens a door, which increases the first volume.
The volume ranges now from [itex]-z_{0}[/itex] to [itex] + \infty [/itex]. ([itex]z_{0}>0[/itex])
But I am just interested in the equilibrium state of this situtaion.

I think the FPE must have the same form like the first case. So again:

$$
\frac{\partial}{\partial t} P_{2}(z,t)
=
-\frac{\partial}{\partial z}[\Gamma~f(z)P_{2}(z,t)]
+
\frac{D}{2}
\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial z^{2}} P_{2}(z,t)
=0
$$

$$
\Rightarrow -\Gamma~f(z)P_{2}(z,t)
+
\frac{D}{2}
\frac{\partial}{\partial z} P_{2}(z,t)
=0
$$

$$
\Rightarrow \Gamma~gP_{2}(z,t)
+
\frac{D}{2}
\frac{\partial}{\partial z} P_{2}(z,t)
=0
$$

$$
\Rightarrow \Gamma~g dz
=
-
\frac{D}{2}
\frac{1}{P_{2}(z,t)} d(P_{2}(z,t))

$$
This Solution leads to:
$$
P_{2}=C\exp{\lbrace \frac{-2\Gamma g z}{D} \rbrace}
$$

Now for normalisation:
$$
\int \limits_{-z_{0}}^ {+ \infty} P_{2}(z,t) ~dz =1
$$

Can this be true? Is the range of integration, the only thing i have to change for this situation?

THX
and sorry for the long letter.
Bye
Abby
:redface:

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Abby,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. Your calculations seem to be correct. When the door opens at time t0, the equilibrium state of the system will change, but the form of the Fokker-Planck equation will remain the same. Therefore, your solution for P2 is also correct. And yes, you are correct that the only thing that needs to be changed for this situation is the range of integration. In the first case, the range is z>0, while in the second case, it is -z0 to +∞.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Good luck with your research!

1. What is a particle in a 1-d potential?

A particle in a 1-d potential refers to a physical system where a single particle is confined to move along a one-dimensional space and is subject to a potential energy function. This potential energy function can be represented by a mathematical equation and is responsible for determining the behavior and motion of the particle.

2. What is the Fokker-Planck equation?

The Fokker-Planck equation, also known as the Fokker-Planck-Kolmogorov equation, is a partial differential equation that describes the time evolution of the probability density function of a stochastic process. In the context of a particle in a 1-d potential, the Fokker-Planck equation can be used to study the probability of the particle's position and velocity at different points in time.

3. How is the Fokker-Planck equation related to the particle in a 1-d potential?

The Fokker-Planck equation is related to the particle in a 1-d potential through the concept of stochastic processes. In this context, the particle's position and velocity are considered random variables, and the Fokker-Planck equation describes how these variables change over time due to the influence of the potential energy function.

4. What are some applications of the Fokker-Planck equation in physics?

The Fokker-Planck equation has various applications in physics, such as in the study of diffusion processes, Brownian motion, and other stochastic phenomena. It is also commonly used in analyzing the behavior of particles in complex systems, such as in plasma physics and astrophysics.

5. How is the Fokker-Planck equation solved?

The Fokker-Planck equation can be solved using various mathematical techniques, such as the separation of variables method, perturbation theory, and numerical methods. The solution of the equation provides insights into the probability distribution of the particle's position and velocity, which can be compared to experimental data to validate theoretical models.