Particle in a box in cartesian coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses the Schrödinger equation and its application to a specific case. There is a question about setting the second derivatives equal to the time derivative separately and a clarification about the values of n for degenerate energies. There is also a discussion about finding a given energy level and its significance. The conversation ends with a reference to a sequence of the number of ways an integer can be expressed as the sum of three non-zero squares.
gfd43tg
Gold Member

Homework Statement

upload_2015-5-13_14-52-38.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) The schrödinger equation
$$i \hbar \frac {\partial \Psi}{\partial t} = - \frac {\hbar^{2}}{2m} \nabla^{2} \psi + V \psi $$
For the case ##0 \le x,y,z \le a##, ##V = 0##
$$i \hbar \frac {\partial \Psi}{\partial t} = - \frac {\hbar^{2}}{2m} \Big [ \frac {\partial^{2} \psi}{\partial x^{2}} + \frac {\partial^{2} \psi}{\partial y^{2}}+ \frac {\partial^{2} \psi}{\partial z^{2}} \Big ]$$
But with the sum of the second derivates, is it possible to set each of these equal to the time derivative separately? If so, then why?

Physics news on Phys.org
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1431503226.695426.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1431503246.977950.jpg

Okay I have made some progress on this problem, however I am curious, is it the case that ##n_{x} = n_{y} = n_{z}##? If they are allowed to be different numbers, I suspect that is what allows for degenerate energies.

Last edited:
Re your first question. If you have separate functions of each variable, then consider holding every spatial variable constant. This shows that the time function must be constant. In general:

##T(t) = F(x, y, z) \ \Rightarrow \ T(t) = C = F(x, y, z)##

And:

##X(x) + Y(y) + Z(z) = C \ \Rightarrow \ X(x) = C_x, \ Y(y) = C_y, \ Z(z) = C_z## where ##C_x + C_y + C_z = C##

But, there's no reason that ##C_x = C_y = C_z = C/3##

Is there any easy way to find a given ##E_{n}##? Or do you need to do every combination to get ##E_{14}##?

Not too many possibilities to get 14 as the sum of three squares ...

That is not what is meant by ##E_{14}##, they mean the 14th highest energy level. Not that the sum of the squares is 14

From the problem statement wording I'm inclined to say you are right.
Usually, we call them EN with EN = N E0 -- so I got sidetracked.

But then why Griffiths thinks E14 is so interesting is a mystery to me. Let us know if you find something !

Maylis said:
Is there any easy way to find a given ##E_{n}##? Or do you need to do every combination to get ##E_{14}##?

There's a whole sequence here of the number of ways that each integer can be expressed as a sum of 3 non-zero squares:

https://oeis.org/A025427

https://oeis.org/A025427/b025427.txt

For example:

66 is the first integer that can be expressed in 3 different ways; 129 in 4 different ways; 194 in 5 different ways; 209 in 6 ways.

What is a "Particle in a box in cartesian coordinates"?

A Particle in a box in cartesian coordinates is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle confined to a finite space or "box" in three-dimensional cartesian coordinate system.

What are the assumptions made in the "Particle in a box in cartesian coordinates" model?

The model assumes that the particle is confined to a box with infinite potential energy at the boundaries, and that there is no external force acting on the particle. It also assumes that the walls of the box are impenetrable and that the particle's wave function is continuous.

What is the significance of the "Particle in a box in cartesian coordinates" model?

The model is significant because it helps us understand the behavior of particles in confined spaces, such as atoms and molecules. It also allows us to make predictions about the energy levels and wave functions of these particles.

How is the energy of a particle in a box calculated in cartesian coordinates?

The energy of a particle in a box is calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which takes into account the size of the box, the mass of the particle, and the potential energy at the boundaries. The resulting energy levels are quantized, meaning they can only take on certain discrete values.

What are the limitations of the "Particle in a box in cartesian coordinates" model?

The model is limited in that it does not take into account the effects of particle-particle interactions or external forces. It also assumes that the walls of the box are perfectly impenetrable, which may not be the case in real systems. Additionally, it is a simplified model and does not account for the complexities of quantum mechanics in larger systems.