Particle in a potential well of harmonic oscillator

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Roodles01
Messages
125
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I have a similar problem to this one on Physicsforum from a few years ago.


Homework Equations


Cleggy has finished part a) saying he gets the answer as
Ψ(x, t) = (1/√2) (ψ1(x)exp(-3iwt/2+ iψ3(x)exp(-7iwt/2)

OK
classical angular frequency ω0 = √C/m for period of oscillation T = 2∏ / ω0
I note that E0 = ½ ħ ω0




The Attempt at a Solution


I have, for a wave packet with equal coefficients for 1st & 2nd stationary state wave function;
ψA(x,t) = 1/√2 (ψ0(x) e-iwt/2 + ψ1(x) e-3iwt/2)

This question asks for vaidity for t>0

I don't get how he got there.
Could someone expand this please
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose [tex]\psi_n(x,t)[/tex] are the eigenstates with energy [tex]E_n[/tex].

Then a generic state (general solution of the Schrödinger equation) can be written as the superposition of these states:

[tex]\psi(x,t)=\sum_{n}a_n\psi_n(x,t)=\sum_{n}a_n\psi_n(x)e^{-iE_n t/\hbar}[/tex]

Now match this with the initial condition to find the coefficients a_n and use the energy states for the harmonic oscillator:

[tex]E_n=\hbar\omega\left(n+\frac12\right)[/tex]
 
Ah! Yes, I hadn't done reading ahead enough, so hadn't got to that bit.
Thanks for the pointer, though.