1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Minimum and maximum uncertainty values in quantum harmonic oscillator

1. Jun 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have to find the minimum and maximum values of the uncertainty of [tex]\Delta[/tex]x and specify the times after t=0 when these uncertainties apply.

2. Relevant equations

The wave function is Ψ(x, 0) = (1/√2) (ψ1(x)+ iψ3(x))

and for all t is Ψ(x, t) = (1/√2) (ψ1(x)exp(-3iwt/2+ iψ3(x)exp(-7iwt/2)

3. The attempt at a solution

the expectation value <x> = 0 ( given in my text )

hence [tex]\Delta[/tex]x= [tex]\sqrt{}<x^2>[/tex]

using the sandwich integral

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{\infty}_{-\infty}[/tex]ψ1[tex]\ast[/tex](x) x^2 ψ1(x) dx = [tex]\frac{3}{2}[/tex] a^2

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{\infty}_{-\infty}[/tex][tex]\psi[/tex]3[tex]\ast[/tex](x) x^2 [tex]\psi[/tex]3(x) dx = [tex]\frac{7}{2}[/tex]a^2

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{\infty}_{-\infty}[/tex][tex]\psi[/tex]3[tex]\ast[/tex](x) x^2 [tex]\psi[/tex]1 (x) dx = [tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{\infty}_{-\infty}[/tex][tex]\psi[/tex][tex]\ast[/tex]1(x) x^2 [tex]\psi[/tex]3 dx = [tex]\sqrt{\frac{3}{2}}[/tex]a^2

where a is the length parameter of the oscillator.

Where do I go from here?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2009 #2

Cyosis

Homework Helper

You have calculated the probability density function correctly in a previous question you asked. Where has the time dependence disappeared? Secondly how does one find minimum/maximum values of a function generally?

4. Jun 12, 2009 #3
    I don't know where the time dependence has gone

I'm not sure how to calculate the minimum and maximum values of a function?

5. Jun 12, 2009 #4
    I've been going at this for so long now my mind is turning mushy

6. Jun 12, 2009 #5

Cyosis

Homework Helper

If you're following a course on quantum mechanics I'm pretty sure you know how to find the minimum/maximum of a function.

Hint: derivative

7. Jun 12, 2009 #6
    so i have to do a first derivative test

8. Jun 12, 2009 #7

Cyosis

Homework Helper

First you need to find the correct time dependent expression for <x^2>. After that you take the derivative with respect to the appropriate variable and solve for said variable.

9. Jun 12, 2009 #8
    I don't know how to find the time dependent expression for <x^2>

10. Jun 12, 2009 #9

Cyosis

Homework Helper

In your other thread on this topic you calculated the probability density function for this time dependent wave function. The one with a sine in it and a t etc? You must remember.
    This is the correct "sandwich" expression to use. What you've calculated now is the time independent expectation value of x^2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook