Minimum and maximum uncertainty values in quantum harmonic oscillator

In summary, the homework statement is to find the minimum and maximum values of the uncertainty of the deltax variable and specify the times after t=0 when these uncertainties apply. The wave function is Ψ(x, 0) = (1/√2) (ψ1(x)+ iψ3(x)) and for all t is Ψ(x,
cleggy

Homework Statement

I have to find the minimum and maximum values of the uncertainty of [tex]\Delta[/tex]x and specify the times after t=0 when these uncertainties apply.

Homework Equations

The wave function is Ψ(x, 0) = (1/√2) (ψ1(x)+ iψ3(x))

and for all t is Ψ(x, t) = (1/√2) (ψ1(x)exp(-3iwt/2+ iψ3(x)exp(-7iwt/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

the expectation value <x> = 0 ( given in my text )

hence [tex]\Delta[/tex]x= [tex]\sqrt{}<x^2>[/tex]

using the sandwich integral

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{\infty}_{-\infty}[/tex]ψ1[tex]\ast[/tex](x) x^2 ψ1(x) dx = [tex]\frac{3}{2}[/tex] a^2

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{\infty}_{-\infty}[/tex][tex]\psi[/tex]3[tex]\ast[/tex](x) x^2 [tex]\psi[/tex]3(x) dx = [tex]\frac{7}{2}[/tex]a^2

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{\infty}_{-\infty}[/tex][tex]\psi[/tex]3[tex]\ast[/tex](x) x^2 [tex]\psi[/tex]1 (x) dx = [tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{\infty}_{-\infty}[/tex][tex]\psi[/tex][tex]\ast[/tex]1(x) x^2 [tex]\psi[/tex]3 dx = [tex]\sqrt{\frac{3}{2}}[/tex]a^2

where a is the length parameter of the oscillator.

Where do I go from here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have calculated the probability density function correctly in a previous question you asked. Where has the time dependence disappeared? Secondly how does one find minimum/maximum values of a function generally?

I don't know where the time dependence has gone

I'm not sure how to calculate the minimum and maximum values of a function?

I've been going at this for so long now my mind is turning mushy

If you're following a course on quantum mechanics I'm pretty sure you know how to find the minimum/maximum of a function.

Hint: derivative

so i have to do a first derivative test

First you need to find the correct time dependent expression for <x^2>. After that you take the derivative with respect to the appropriate variable and solve for said variable.

I don't know how to find the time dependent expression for <x^2>

In your other thread on this topic you calculated the probability density function for this time dependent wave function. The one with a sine in it and a t etc? You must remember.
This is the correct "sandwich" expression to use. What you've calculated now is the time independent expectation value of x^2.

cleggy said:
that should have been

|[tex]\Psi[/tex]|^2 = [1/2][|[tex]\psi[/tex]1|^2 + |[tex]\psi[/tex]3|^2

+ 2[tex]\psi[/tex]1[tex]\psi[/tex]3sin(2wot)]

1. What is the significance of minimum and maximum uncertainty values in quantum harmonic oscillator?

The minimum and maximum uncertainty values in quantum harmonic oscillator refer to the Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, which states that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be known simultaneously with absolute certainty. The minimum uncertainty value represents the lower limit of uncertainty in the position and momentum measurements, while the maximum uncertainty value represents the upper limit.

2. How are minimum and maximum uncertainty values calculated in quantum harmonic oscillator?

The minimum and maximum uncertainty values are calculated using the formula ΔxΔp≥h/4π, where Δx is the uncertainty in position, Δp is the uncertainty in momentum, and h is the Planck's constant. This formula is derived from the Heisenberg's uncertainty principle.

3. Can the minimum and maximum uncertainty values be measured experimentally?

Yes, the minimum and maximum uncertainty values can be measured experimentally using various techniques such as the double-slit experiment and the measurement of energy levels in an atom. These experiments confirm the validity of the Heisenberg's uncertainty principle and the calculated values for minimum and maximum uncertainty.

4. How do minimum and maximum uncertainty values affect our understanding of the quantum world?

The concept of minimum and maximum uncertainty values challenges our classical understanding of the world, where we expect to know the exact position and momentum of a particle. It highlights the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics and the limitations of our measurements. It also shows that the behavior of particles at the quantum level is vastly different from our everyday experiences.

5. Are minimum and maximum uncertainty values the same for all particles in the quantum harmonic oscillator?

No, the minimum and maximum uncertainty values may vary for different particles in the quantum harmonic oscillator depending on their mass, energy levels, and other properties. However, the uncertainty principle applies to all particles in the quantum world, and the minimum and maximum uncertainty values are always related through the same formula.