1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle moving along a parabola

1. Sep 11, 2012 #1
    Can someone please check that everything I have done so far is correct?

A particle movies along a parabola with the displacement equation s = 0.5t2.
    (a graph is shown)

::::Part I::::

Suppose x-component is s = Ct
    i) indicate direction of velocity vector and acceleration at point R (arbitrary point on graph)
    ii) Determine y-component of particles velocity
    iii) Determine y-component of particles acceleration

Answers:

i) I suppose the velocity vector would be tangential to the graph and the acceleration vector would be parallel with the y-axis?
    ii) since V = √(Vx2 + Vy2), and V = t, I found that the y - component is √(t2-C2t2).
    iii) Since the acceleration is constant, is the y-component simply C?

:::Part II::::

Suppose instead that the x-component of the velocity is given by [tex]\frac{C}{\sqrt{1 + t^{2}}}[/tex]

i) Show that the particle's speed is constant

I am unsure how to attempt Part II.

If you are able to answer or confirm my answers to any part of this question, thank you very much!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2012 #2
    Some help would be greatly appreciated!

4. Sep 12, 2012 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

We need some explanation. What is s? I do not see the graph.

ehild

5. Sep 12, 2012 #4
  6. Sep 12, 2012 #5
    For part (i) - you are right,
    For part (ii) you have used s_x instead of V_x to determine V_y
    For part (iii) - yes, the acceleration is constant, but it is not equal to C; but maybe try determining the total acceleration, and the acceleration in the x direction instead of differentiating...
    - if you typo'd s=Ct; and it's actually V_x=Ct, then your answer to part (i) is wrong, part (ii) is right and you still need to determine part (iii) - it's a constant still, but not C

For part (II)
    there isn't enoguh information - is the total motion of the particle still given by s=.5t^2?
    Because in that case, the particles speed can't be constant - it's speed is, as you said, is equal to t, which is a variable.
    Was there any other information?

7. Sep 12, 2012 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

s=0.5t^2 is a scalar equation. If s is displacement, the particle moves along a straight line, not along a parabola. If a particle moves along a parabola, you need to give the relation between its coordinates. Can you show the original text of the problem?

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook