A particle travels along a plane curve (Polar coordinates)

In summary, the problem involves a particle traveling along a plane curve with given polar components of velocity and acceleration. The goal is to determine the component of acceleration that is tangent to the path of the particle at a certain instant. The solution involves finding the unit vector in the direction of the velocity vector and taking the dot product with the acceleration vector to find the tangential component. The given result of -30.5mm/s2 is correct and can be obtained by converting the given polar coordinates to cartesian coordinates.
Alexanddros81

Homework Statement

13.24 A particle travels along a plane curve. At a certain instant, the polar
components of the velocity and acceleration are vR=90mm/s, vθ=60mm/s,
aR=-50mm/s2, and aθ=20mm/s2. Determine the component of acceleration that is tangent to the path of the particle at this instant.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried somethings but didn't get the result which is -30.5mm/s2
Any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
Alexanddros81 said:

Homework Statement

13.24 A particle travels along a plane curve. At a certain instant, the polar
components of the velocity and acceleration are vR=90mm/s, vθ=60mm/s,
aR=-50mm/s2, and aθ=20mm/s2. Determine the component of acceleration that is tangent to the path of the particle at this instant.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried somethings but didn't get the result which is -30.5mm/s2
Any hints?
What have you tried? What is a? What is v? Show your work.
PS answer is correct.

Last edited:
In terms of the velocity components in the radial and theta directions and the unit vectors in the radial and theta directions, what is the velocity vector. What is the equation for a unit vector in the direction of the velocity? In terms of the acceleration components in the radial and theta directions, and the unit vectors in the radial and theta directions, what is the equation for the acceleration vector?

Here is my work:

Pytels_Dynamics064.jpg

Alexanddros81 said:
Here is my work:

View attachment 211139
Good start, but it's much simpler than this. You've shown that:
$$\vec{v}=90\vec{e_r}+60\vec{e_{\theta}}$$
$$\vec{a}=-50\vec{e_r}+20\vec{e_{\theta}}$$and
$$v=108.16$$
So, the unit vector in the direction of the velocity vector is:
$$\vec{i_v}=\frac{90\vec{e_r}+60\vec{e_{\theta}}}{108.16}=0.8321\vec{e_r}+0.5547\vec{e_{\theta}}$$
The tangential component of the acceleration is the same as its component in the direction of the velocity vector. This is equal to the dot product of the acceleration vector with the unit vector in the direction of the velocity vector. The dot product of two vectors is a distributive property. So, for two vectors, say ##\vec{A}=A_r\vec{e_r}+A_{\theta}\vec{e_{\theta}}## and ##\vec{B}=B_r\vec{e_r}+B_{\theta}\vec{e_{\theta}}##, their dot product is given by:
$$\vec{A}\centerdot \vec{B}=(A_r\vec{e_r}+A_{\theta}\vec{e_{\theta}})\centerdot (B_r\vec{e_r}+B_{\theta}\vec{e_{\theta}})=A_rB_r+A_{\theta}B_{\theta}$$

Likes Alexanddros81
Actually, the problem as stated is muddled.
In polar coordinates a vector has an r component and a θ component. The velocity vector should thus be v r + θv θ with bold being the unit vectors. From your data v is √(902 + 602) = 108.17 mm/s while θv = tan-1(60/90) = 33.69 deg. Same idea for the a vector: a = √(50 + 20) = 53.85 mm/s while θa = tan-1(20/-50) = 180 - 21.80 = 158.2 deg.

We have all implicitly chosen to ignore polar coordinates "r" and "θ" and interpreted the data as cartesian "x" and "y" respectively. That's how the given answer is derived. It does not excuse stating that the given v and a data is given in polar coordinates when it isn't.
I hasten to add that, given polar coordinates i would perform dot-products by converting to cartesian first. I know there's another way but I'm too old to learn it. :H

Last edited:
Likes Alexanddros81
rude man said:
Actually, the problem as stated is muddled.
In polar coordinates a vector has an r component and a θ component. The velocity vector should thus be v r + θv θ with bold being the unit vectors. From your data v is √(902 + 602) = 108.17 mm/s while θv = tan-1(60/90) = 33.69 deg. Same idea for the a vector: a = √(50.+ 20) = 53.85 mm/s while θa = tan-1(20/-50) = -21.80 deg.

We have all implicitly chosen to ignore polar coordinates "r" and "θ" and interpreted the data as cartesian "x" and "y" respectively. That's how the given answer is derived. It does not excuse stating that the given v and a data is given in polar coordinates when it isn't.
Hi rude man,

It seemed clear to me from the problem statement that what they meant was exactly as you described it above.

It also seemed clear that there was no need to determine the angles, since all that was really needed was to take the dot product of the acceleration vector with a unit vector in the direction of the velocity vector.

Chet

1. What are polar coordinates and how are they used in particle travel?

Polar coordinates are a system of coordinates used to describe the position of a point in a two-dimensional space. They consist of a distance from the origin (r) and an angle from a reference line (θ). In particle travel, polar coordinates are used to track the path of a particle as it moves along a curved path in a plane.

2. How do you convert between polar coordinates and Cartesian coordinates?

To convert from polar coordinates (r, θ) to Cartesian coordinates (x, y), you can use the following equations: x = r * cos(θ) and y = r * sin(θ). To convert from Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates, you can use the equations: r = √(x^2 + y^2) and θ = tan^-1(y/x).

3. How can you determine the velocity and acceleration of a particle traveling along a polar curve?

The velocity of a particle is the rate of change of its position, which can be calculated using the polar coordinates r and θ. The velocity can be found by taking the derivative of r with respect to time (dr/dt) and the derivative of θ with respect to time (dθ/dt). The acceleration of a particle is the rate of change of its velocity, which can be found by taking the second derivative of r with respect to time (d^2r/dt^2) and the second derivative of θ with respect to time (d^2θ/dt^2).

4. What is the difference between a polar curve and a parametric curve?

A polar curve is a curve described by polar coordinates (r, θ) where the position of a point is determined by its distance from the origin and its angle from a reference line. A parametric curve is a curve described by equations that define the x and y coordinates separately. In polar coordinates, a single equation can describe the entire curve, while in parametric coordinates, two equations are needed to describe the x and y coordinates separately.

5. How are polar coordinates used in real-world applications?

Polar coordinates are used in various real-world applications, such as navigation systems, astronomy, and engineering. They are particularly useful in situations where circular or curved motion is involved, such as tracking the position of a satellite in orbit or designing the shape of a curved structure. They can also be used to describe the movement of objects in polar coordinate systems, such as a pendulum swinging back and forth.