Particle moving at varying speed along a path

In summary, the conversation discusses the desire to traverse an arbitrary path at a variable speed, with a sigmoid-shaped speed function that starts at s0 and is bounded by s1. The maximum magnitude of acceleration is given as A, and the desired maximum speed is either s1 or some speed less than s1. The question is whether there is a way to build the speed function without guessing, and if not, how to make intelligent guesses to converge to the desired function. The suggestion is to calculate the maximal derivative of the sigmoid function and set it equal to A, which will reduce the number of unknowns. The goal is to have a symmetrical acceleration curve.
jumbo1985
Suppose I have a arbitrary path X(u) for u∈[0,1] of length L.

I want to traverse the path at a variable speed (I'm only really concerned about the magnitude of velocity). I want the graph of my speed function σ(t) to have the shape of a sigmoid and I want it to start at an arbitrary value s0 and be bounded by an arbitrary value s1. There's a bound on the maximum magnitude of acceleration equal to A. I want to get to my maximum speed or s1 as fast as possible while not going over the acceleration limit.

From basic calculus and physics I know that:
[tex] L = \int_{0}^{t}\sigma(t) dt[/tex]

I know the value of L. I know that my function will be some form of
[tex]\sigma_{1}(t) = 1/(1+e^{-t})[/tex]
There's a lot that I don't know unfortunately.

Is there a way to build my function σ(t) other than guessing? If not, how to best go about making intelligent guesses so that I eventually converge to my desired function?

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
s0 and s1 are given, and s1 is the maximum of the sigmoid function?
How much are you allowed to modify this function?

The maximal derivative of the sigmoid function can be calculated, and can be set equal to A. That will always reduce the number of unknowns by one.

At u=0, my speed is [tex]s_{0}[/tex] and by the time I get to the end of the curve (u=1), I may be traveling at my maximum speed [tex]s_{m}[/tex] or I may only get up to some speed [tex]s_{1} < s_{m}[/tex]

I suppose this depends on the length of the curve, the maximum speed, the maximum (magnitude of) acceleration, etc.

I'm allowed to modify this curve but I would like to have the (magnitude of) acceleration curve (σ'(t)) be as symmetrical as possible.

Thanks!

Well, you can write down the corresponding equations to those requirements, and then see how to solve the equations.

1. How is the speed of a particle calculated along a path?

The speed of a particle along a path can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. This is known as average speed and is represented by the formula v = d/t, where v is the average speed, d is the distance, and t is the time.

2. Can a particle have a constant speed along a path?

Yes, a particle can have a constant speed along a path if it maintains the same velocity (speed and direction) throughout its motion. This can occur if there are no external forces acting on the particle to change its speed or direction.

3. What factors can affect the speed of a particle along a path?

The speed of a particle along a path can be affected by various factors such as external forces, friction, air resistance, and changes in direction. The type of path and surface the particle is moving on can also impact its speed.

4. How is the acceleration of a particle along a path calculated?

The acceleration of a particle along a path can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This is represented by the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time.

5. Can a particle have a negative speed along a path?

Yes, a particle can have a negative speed along a path if it is moving in the opposite direction of its initial motion. This is known as deceleration or negative acceleration. However, the speed itself cannot be negative, as it is a scalar quantity that only indicates the magnitude of the particle's velocity.