Expressing Elliptic Orbitals As Speed Functions.

In summary: However, there is a function that can be used to approximate the distance at a future point in time. The function is called Kepler's Second Law and it is a mathematical relationship between the orbital elements and the orbital velocity. The equation for Kepler's Second Law is: v2 = a2 + b2where a and b are the semi-major and semi-minor axes of the ellipse, and v is the orbital velocity. The equation can be solved for v, and the result is: v = a(t-h)2where h is the time (in years) since the object was at the same distance from the sun as the foci. This equation, together with the equation for the orbital path,
Sabertooth
Hi everyone:) I have spend a couple of days trying to teach myself the math of orbital mechanics and have been able to generate a model of the orbital path of Haley's Comet, incorporating realistic distances and periods using Kepler's second law & ellipsoid functions.
This is a GIF of the motion picture I have modeled thus far: https://gyazo.com/ee22bf5beaf0be7189fe5c507c7b0714

The difficulty I'm having at the moment is finding the right function or expression to generate a graph of the true velocity of the satellite (Hailey's comet) as a function of time(period). As you can see the velocity is constantly changing as the distance between the foci and the satellite increases and decreases, and the velocity is proportional to that curve you see on the image overlapping the orbital path. (which depicts distance from foci).
What I need to do, is simultaneously graph the wave function of the true speed of the comet over each period.

Moreover, you may have noticed that the ellipse foci is reversed in some sense. The (0,0) value represent a foci, but it is the opposite foci that the comet is actually orbiting which might be inferred from the fact that the object moves faster as it gets further away from the (0,0) coordinate.

So my two main question were:
Does anyone know how I can properly generate the graph of the speed of the comet from this set of equations. a speed vs time graph?
Anyone with knowledge on how to rearrange the mathematical function so the foci is centered on the "right side of the Ellipse"? Still maintaining all the other features.
1598320070848.png

Would love some help with this:)

Attachments

• 1598320013026.png
    1598320013026.png
    41.7 KB · Views: 97
Physics news on Phys.org
A closed form for the velocity (or speed) could be transformed to a closed form for the distance as function of time, which doesn't exist.

1. What are elliptic orbitals?

Elliptic orbitals are a type of atomic orbital that describes the probability of finding an electron in a specific region around the nucleus of an atom. They are characterized by their elliptical shape and are commonly found in multi-electron atoms.

2. How are elliptic orbitals expressed as speed functions?

Elliptic orbitals can be expressed as speed functions by using mathematical equations that describe the speed and direction of the electron's motion around the nucleus. These equations take into account the shape and orientation of the orbital and can provide valuable information about the electron's behavior.

3. What is the significance of expressing elliptic orbitals as speed functions?

Expressing elliptic orbitals as speed functions allows scientists to better understand and predict the behavior of electrons in atoms. It also helps in the development of quantum mechanical models that accurately describe the electronic structure of atoms.

4. Can elliptic orbitals be expressed as speed functions for all atoms?

Yes, elliptic orbitals can be expressed as speed functions for all atoms. However, the equations used to describe them may differ depending on the number of electrons and the type of atom.

5. Are there any limitations to expressing elliptic orbitals as speed functions?

One limitation of expressing elliptic orbitals as speed functions is that it only provides information about the electron's motion around the nucleus and does not take into account its spin or magnetic properties. Additionally, the accuracy of the equations may decrease for atoms with a large number of electrons or in highly complex systems.