Particle moving inside an inverted cone - Lagrangian

In summary: I'm not sure if this is correctIt is correct, but the constraint is not implemented according to what the problem asks you to do. You should use a Lagrange multiplier to implement the constraint.
bigguccisosa

Homework Statement

Hi there! So I have a problem regarding a particle of mass m moving down an inverted cone under the force of gravity. The cone is linear with equation z(r) = r, in cylindrical coordinates (r, theta, z)

A. Write down the Lagrangian, include the constraint that the particle stays on the surface of the cone via a Lagrange multiplier.
B. Determine the Euler-Lagrange equations for each coordinate and the Lagrange multiplier. Show that the angular momentum remains constant throughout.
C. Simplify these equations to get a 2nd order ordinary differential equation for the radial location of the particle.
D. Show that there are circular orbits and identify their angular velocity as a function of orbital radius.

Homework Equations

Euler-Lagrange equation with one equation of constraint:
[itex]\frac{\partial{L}}{\partial{q}} - \frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial{L}}{\partial{\dot{q}}} + \lambda\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{q}} = 0, L = T - V[/itex]

Equation of constraint:
[itex] f = tan\alpha - \frac{r}{z} = 0 [/itex], where alpha is the half angle of the cone

The Attempt at a Solution

A. I'm not too sure about my Lagrangian here,especially the kinetic energy part and the equation of constraint. I have that [tex] V = mgz = \frac{mgr}{tan\alpha} [/tex] and [tex] T = \frac{1}{2}m(\dot{r}^2 + \frac{\dot{r}^2}{tan^2\alpha} + r^2\dot{\theta}^2) [/tex] So, [tex] L = \frac{1}{2}m(\dot{r}^2 + \frac{\dot{r}^2}{tan^2\alpha} + r^2\dot{\theta}^2) - \frac{mgr}{tan\alpha} [/tex] [tex] = \frac{1}{2}m(\frac{\dot{r}^2}{sin^2\alpha} + r^2\dot{\theta}^2) - \frac{mgr}{tan\alpha} [/tex]
But I'm not sure if this is correct

B. Applying the Euler-lagrange equation to r and theta I get [tex]mr\dot{\theta}^2 - \frac{mg}{tan\alpha} - \frac{d}{dt}(\frac{m\dot{r}}{sin^2\alpha} + \lambda\frac{1}{h} = 0 [/tex] and [tex]
0 - \frac{d}{dt}(mr^2\dot{\theta} + \lambda(0) = 0 [/tex]
Integrating the second one shows that angular momentum is constant so that means my Lagrangian was correct right?

C. Okay, so I can see that the first Euler-Lagrange equation can be a differential equation for r, but it also has terms of theta in it, so it wouldn't be ordinary then? Here's as far as a I got.

D. I guess that after you solve the correct DE, you can see that the orbit is circular, then invert the equation for angular velocity in terms of r?

Maybe someone can give me something to get me going on c? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
bigguccisosa said:
But I'm not sure if this is correct
It is correct, but not implemented according to what the problem asks you to do. You have implemented the constraint by directly implementing the holonomic constraint into the Lagrangian, not by using a Lagrange multiplier as the problem asks you to do.

bigguccisosa said:
Applying the Euler-lagrange equation to r and theta I get
You have now introduced ##\lambda## and ##h## out of nowhere. Your task in A is to construct a Lagrangian which contains the Lagrange multiplier.

Orodruin said:
It is correct, but not implemented according to what the problem asks you to do. You have implemented the constraint by directly implementing the holonomic constraint into the Lagrangian, not by using a Lagrange multiplier as the problem asks you to do.
So in that case, should I have a Lagrangian with something like L = (unconstrained T-V) + (lagrange multiplier) (constraint)? I'm looking at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrange_multiplier#Example_1

Hi,
This restriction is correct?

May be alpha= constant?

thanks

1. What is a Lagrangian in the context of a particle moving inside an inverted cone?

The Lagrangian in this context refers to a mathematical function that describes the energy of the system and the constraints on the motion of the particle. It is used to calculate the equations of motion for the particle within the inverted cone.

2. How is the Lagrangian used to model the motion of a particle inside an inverted cone?

The Lagrangian is used to derive the equations of motion for the particle by taking into account the shape of the inverted cone and any other forces acting on the particle. This allows for a more accurate description of the motion compared to using basic Newtonian mechanics.

3. What factors affect the motion of a particle inside an inverted cone?

The motion of the particle inside an inverted cone is affected by the shape of the cone, the initial conditions of the particle (such as its position and velocity), and any external forces acting on the particle, such as gravity or friction.

4. Can the Lagrangian be used to model the motion of a particle in other shapes besides an inverted cone?

Yes, the Lagrangian can be used to model the motion of a particle in any shape as long as the appropriate constraints and forces are taken into account. This allows for a more versatile and comprehensive understanding of the motion of particles in various systems.

5. How does the Lagrangian approach differ from the Newtonian approach to modeling particle motion?

The Newtonian approach uses Newton's laws of motion to calculate the forces acting on a particle and predict its motion. The Lagrangian approach, on the other hand, takes into account the constraints and energy of the system to derive the equations of motion. This can provide a more elegant and accurate description of the motion in complex systems.