Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle physics and quantum physics

1. Mar 7, 2010 #1
    particle physics and quantum physics....

can u tell me some difference between particle physics and quantum physics

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2010 #2

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: particle physics and quantum physics....

You can do some particle physics without quantum physics, and a lot of quantum physics is applied to other things than what is usually called particle physics (like solid state physics, lasers, nuclear physics, quantum chemistry ...).

In fact, particle physics is now rather called "high energy physics" because it studies essentially phenomena at very high particle energies (in the GeV - TeV range).
    Quantum theory is a certain conceptual framework in which certain phenomena can be well described, and in fact there is such a framework for high-energy physics which is quantum field theory.

Your question is a bit similar to: what is the difference between Newtonian mechanics and studying airplane engineering. Newtonian mechanics is a conceptual framework that can be used in the studying of airplane designs, but there are aspects of airplane design that don't need much mechanics, and you can do a lot of other things with mechanics outside of airplane design.

4. Mar 7, 2010 #3

what is the difference between fotball and sport?

5. Mar 7, 2010 #4

"Fotball" is an ancient sport of the Quigly people of the lower Pharnfen River Delta. Football is a sport, although one with multiple region-specific definitions.

:smile:

Does that help as much as you helped the OP? yob vas.

6. Mar 7, 2010 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Which is apparently located in an obscure corner of what we now call Norway, based on the results of a Google search for "fotball". :smile:

7. Mar 7, 2010 #6

Killjoy! Actually, I'm guessing "fot" is always a double or triple looooong vowel in any scandinavian language. English has ridiculous rules, Scandinavians love their long vowels.

Sadly, the original people of the Pharnfen River Delta, the Quiglies, died years before the norse people colonized the really cold bits of Scandinavia. Tragic story, but the short version is that the Quigly People were retroactively descended from a future race which has become physically dependant on Big-Macs.

When the fury of the norsemen descended upon them, alas, the Quiglies were driven into the Pharnfen, which was then renamed because it sounded very silly. Go on, say it out loud: Pharn Fen... blegh.

And that's the story of the Quiglies.

Fotball plays a shockingly small role in this I should add.

8. Mar 8, 2010 #7

fOOtball and sport then :D

9. Mar 8, 2010 #8

You're no fun anymore. *pout*

Anyway, I think we all got your metaphor, and for the record it's a good one. I was just feeling silly. :wink:

10. Mar 10, 2010 #9

Did you mean the difference between classical physics and quantum physics? Both include particles, but classical particles are unlike quantum particles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook