1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle Physics Integral Calculation

1. May 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In calculating the quantum mechanical amplitude for the Coulomb potential (scattering of say [tex]\alpha[/tex] particle off a massive particle of charge [tex]Ze[/tex]), I came across a fourier transform which I could not calculate.

If
    [tex] U(r)=\frac{2Ze^2}{4\pi\epsilon_0 r}[/tex]
    then
    [tex]\tilde{U}(k)=\int U(\mathbf{x})e^{i\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{x}}d^3x=\frac{Ze^2}{\epsilon_0 k^2} [/tex]

Could you please help me calculate this integral

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It looks pretty straightforward, just choose your coordinate system so that [itex]\textbf{k}[/itex] points along the z-axis and perform the integration in spherical coordinates.

Edit: It turns out that the integral doesn't converge directly, so instead you may wish to transform the Yukawa potential [itex]\frac{1}{r}e^{-ur}[/itex], and then take the limit as [itex]u\to 0[/itex]. Strictly speaking, this is only valid if you treat the Coulomb potential as a distribution and not a mathematical function (otherwise, the limit of the integral need not be the same as the integral of the limit).

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  4. May 12, 2010 #3
    Thanks for your reply, I tried integrating over [tex]\mathbb{R}^3[/tex] but my integral does not converge for [tex]0\leq r<\infty[/tex] i.e. integrating

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^{\pi}\int_0^{\infty}r e^{ikr \cos\theta} \sin\theta dr d\theta d\phi[/tex]

Doing the [tex]\theta[/tex] integration first I get

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^{\infty}\frac{2\sin kr}{k}dr d\phi[/tex]

But the r integration does not converge. Am I using the wrong limits

5. May 12, 2010 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Did you read the edit part of my post?

6. May 13, 2010 #5
    Yes I read the edit part of your post, but in my lecture notes there was nothing said about approximation by the Yukawa potential, the integral was just given as I stated it above. Is the integral an approximation? It partially works out when integrated. (also is it related to the first born approximation?)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook