Particular solution to 4th order ode

In summary, the conversation discusses a 4th order ODE and the process of finding the particular solution using variation of parameters. The person asking the question used Mathematica to find the particular solution, but wonders if there is a way to approximate it without using variation of parameters. The expert suggests finding the general solution to the associated homogeneous equation and using a particular solution of the form x^2(Ax^2 + Bx + C) + Dxe^(2x). They also mention the importance of choosing the right functions for y1, y2, y3, and y4 in the variation of parameters method.
physicsjock
hey,

i have this 4th order ode question that I've been working on,

the homogeneous solution was easy enough by finding the particular solution has become a bit annoying,

the ode is

y'''' - 4y'' = 5x2 - e2x

I have gotten the particular solution using variation of parameters, but I used mathematica to do the work, like finding the inverse of the wronskian matrix and integrating the ugly results.

the particular solution i get with mathematica is

yp=1/192 (-30 - 3 E^(2 x) (-5 + 4 x) - 20 x^2 (3 + x^2))

I have checked that this is the particular solution by substitution into the ode and it gives required result.

My question is,

there is no way I was supposed to do this using mathematica, is there a way to approximate the particular solution, like with 2nd order odes?

I tried that in this case,

my particular solution I tried was

(A + Bx + Cx2)+De2x

which is just the sum of the particular solution of x^2 and e^(2x)

Is there some way to estimate the particular solution without using variation of parameters in this question?

Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing you need to do is to find the general solution to the associated homogeneous equation which is y''''- 4y''= 0. That has characteristic equation [itex]r^4- r^2= r^2(r- 2)(r+ 2)= 0[/itex] which has 2 and -2 as roots and 0 as a double root. The general solution to the associated homogeneous equation is [itex]C_1x+ C_2+ C_3e^{2x}+ C_4e^{-2x}[/itex].

And that should tell you that what you give cannot give anything but 0. Instead, you need to try something of the form [itex]x^2(Ax^2+ Bx+ C)+ Dxe^{2x}[/itex].

thanks hallsofivy,

yea i used that general solution to apply variation of parameters,

well i used y1=e^(2x), y2 = e^(-2x) y3=x, y4 =1,

Ill do what you said and try somthing of the form you said,

I'm just not sure what this means

"And that should tell you that what you give cannot give anything but 0"

How did you know to multiply the polynomial by x^2 and the exponential by x in the particular solution? I kinda get why you pick x^2, since without it the polynomial is useless when you take the fourth derivative, but i wouldn't of been able to guess the x by the exponential,

Is there like a "check list" like there is for 2nd degree equations?

What is a 4th order ODE?

A 4th order ODE (Ordinary Differential Equation) is an equation that relates a function to its derivatives up to the 4th order. It can be written in the form: y''''(x) = f(x,y,y',y'',y''').

What is a particular solution?

A particular solution to a 4th order ODE is a specific solution that satisfies both the equation and any initial or boundary conditions that are given. It is a unique solution that can be found using various methods such as substitution, separation of variables, or integrating factors.

Why is the particular solution important?

The particular solution is important because it gives the specific solution to a 4th order ODE, which can be used to model real-world phenomena in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. It allows us to make predictions and understand the behavior of systems governed by differential equations.

How do you find the particular solution to a 4th order ODE?

The particular solution can be found by first solving the general solution to the 4th order ODE using a suitable method, and then applying any given initial or boundary conditions to find the specific solution. Alternatively, advanced methods such as Laplace transforms or power series can also be used to solve for the particular solution.

What are some applications of 4th order ODEs?

4th order ODEs have numerous applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They are commonly used to model systems with multiple variables and complex behaviors, such as vibrations in mechanical systems, heat transfer in materials, and population growth in biology. They are also used in image processing, signal analysis, and control systems in electrical engineering.