Partition function for a gas in a cylinder -

In summary: Thanks for your reply :-)The Attempt at a SolutionClearly g is supposed to be important here. But I would have thought the energy of a single particle could be writtenE=p_{i}^2/2mThen, for a single particle,Z_{c}_{sp} = \sum_{i} e^{-\beta\epsilon_{i}} = Z_{c}_{sp} = \sum_{i} e^{-\beta p_{i}^2/2m} Then, since \epsilon_{i} can take a large number of values, approximate the sum by an integral:Z_{
T-7
Partition function for a gas in a cylinder -- urgent!

Hi,

Here's the problem -- it's supposed to be a specimen of what I can expect in my exam, but it isn't much like the tutorial questions I've been doing. I'd really appreciate some help -- fast!

Homework Statement

An ideal gas consisting of N particles of mass m is enclosed in an infinitely-tall cylindrical container of cross-section area A placed vertically in a uniform gravitational field with gravitational acceleration g. The conditions are such that the problem can be treated classically, and the system is in equilibrium at a temperature T.

a) Explain under what circumstances the partition function of a gas can be factored into single particle partition functions.
(b) Obtain an expression for the partition function for a single particle in the cylinder.
(c) Obtain an expression for the total partition function for all gas particles in the cylinder.
(d) Derive the Helmholtz free energy for the gas

The Attempt at a Solution

Clearly g is supposed to be important here. But I would have thought the energy of a single particle could be written

[tex]E = p_{i}^2 / 2m[/tex]

Then, for a single particle,

[tex]Z_{c}_{sp} = \sum_{i} e^{-\beta\epsilon_{i}} = Z_{c}_{sp} = \sum_{i} e^{-\beta p_{i}^2/2m} [/tex]

Then, since [tex]\epsilon_{i}[/tex] can take a large number of values, approximate the sum by an integral:

[tex]Z_{c}^{sp} = \int \rho(p) dp e^{-\beta p_{i}^2/2m}[/tex]

I'll need to derive a density function (presumably the usual 3D one derived in the first octant of a sphere is inappropriate... though the system is surely still 3D).

I would then form the total partition function by raising the single one to the power N and dividing by N! to compensate for the indistinguishability of particles.

However, my partition function is almost certainly wrong... do I just add mgh to it, and if so, how do I compute the partition function integral?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
T-7 said:
Then, since [tex]\epsilon_{i}[/tex] can take a large number of values, approximate the sum by an integral:

[tex]Z_{c}^{sp} = \int \rho(p) dp e^{-\beta p_{i}^2/2m}[/tex]

I'll need to derive a density function (presumably the usual 3D one derived in the first octant of a sphere is inappropriate... though the system is surely still 3D).

I don't know why you need a density function or a single particle. The energy of the particle is

[tex]E=\frac{p^2}{2\,m}+m\,g\,z[/tex]

thus

[tex]Z_{c}^{sp} = \int e^{ \frac{-\beta\,p^2}{2\,m}}\,d^3\,p \int e^{ -\beta\,m\,g\,z}\,d^3\,x[/tex]

For the first integral, with the aid of shperical coordinates we have

[tex]I_1=\sqrt{8\,\pi^3\,m^3}\,\beta^{-3/2}[/tex]

while the 2nd one yields

[tex]I_2=\frac{A}{\beta\,m\,g}[/tex]

Finally
[tex]Z_{c}^{sp} =\sqrt{\frac{8\,A^2\,\pi^3\,m}{g^2}}\,\beta^{-5/2}[/tex]

if my calculations are correct! :smile:

Last edited:
Rainbow Child said:
I don't know why you need a density function or a single particle. The energy of the particle is

[tex]E=\frac{p^2}{2\,m}+m\,g\,z[/tex]

thus

[tex]Z_{c}^{sp} = \int e^{ \frac{-\beta\,p^2}{2\,m}}\,d^3\,p \int e^{ -\beta\,m\,g\,z}\,d^3\,x[/tex]

For the first integral, with the aid of shperical coordinates we have

[tex]I_1=\sqrt{8\,\pi^3\,m^3}\,\beta^{-3/2}[/tex]

while the 2nd one yields

[tex]I_2=\frac{A}{\beta\,m\,g}[/tex]

Finally
[tex]Z_{c}^{sp} =\sqrt{\frac{8\,A^2\,\pi^3\,m}{g^2}}\,\beta^{-5/2}[/tex]

if my calculations are correct! :smile:

Thanks for your reply :-)

I believe we are supposed to use a density function, however -- at least, it says later in the question to show that

[tex]F \approx NkT log \left(\frac{AkT}{Nh^{3}mg}(2\pi mkT)^{3/2}\right)[/tex]

h is Plank's constant.

This *looks* to me like an expression has been derived for the k-density, turned into a p-density ([tex] p = \hbar k[/tex] ) and introduced somewhere down the line.

Last edited:
If you need to use a density function then the first integral [itex]I_1[/itex] is to be evaluated for the magnititude of the momentum.
So the number of the states in the interval [itex](p,d\,p)[/itex] is

[tex]g(p)\,d\,p=\frac{4\,\pi\,p^2\,V}{h^3}\,d\,p[/tex]

i.e., the density function you mentioned in the 1st post.

how would you obtain the total partition function for this question?

1. What is the partition function for a gas in a cylinder?

The partition function for a gas in a cylinder is a mathematical concept used to describe the statistical distribution of particles in a gas. It takes into account the position, momentum, and energy of each particle in the gas.

2. How is the partition function calculated?

The partition function is calculated by summing over all possible states of the gas, taking into account the energy of each state and the number of particles in that state. This calculation involves complex mathematical equations and is often simplified for specific cases.

3. What is the significance of the partition function?

The partition function is a powerful tool in statistical mechanics and thermodynamics as it allows us to calculate important properties of a gas, such as its internal energy, entropy, and pressure. It also provides insight into the behavior of gases at different temperatures and pressures.

4. How does the partition function change with temperature and pressure?

The partition function is directly proportional to temperature and pressure. As temperature increases, the number of accessible states of the gas increases, leading to a larger partition function. Similarly, as pressure increases, the average energy of each state increases, resulting in a larger partition function.

5. Can the partition function be applied to other systems besides gases in a cylinder?

Yes, the partition function can be applied to various other systems, such as solids, liquids, and even complex systems like proteins. It is a fundamental concept in statistical mechanics and is used to describe the behavior of many physical systems.