1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Passing the limit through the derivative of a differentiable function

1. Jul 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose f is differentiable on an open interval I and let x* [tex]\in[/tex] I. Show that there exists a sequence {x_n}[tex]\subset[/tex] I such that lim[n->inf]{x_n}=x* and lim[n->inf]{f'(x_n)}=f'(x*).

2. Relevant equations

We know that a function g is continuous iff for any sequence {x_n} with lim[n->inf]{x_n}=x*, lim[n->inf]{g(x_n)}=g(x*).

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I need to show that since f is differentiable on I, then its derivative is continuous on I, and since its derivative is continuous on I, then there exists a sequence {x_n} with lim[n->inf]{x_n}=x* for which lim[n->inf]{f'(x_n)}=f'(x*).

But I am not sure how to show this, or even if its right.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2010 #2
    No, f differentiable on I does not imply its derivative is continuous. The canonical counterexample is f(x) = (x^2)*sin(1/x) if x =/= 0 and f(x) = 0 if x = 0.

In the conclusion, you have a double limit. There is a certain procedure to apply to these limits that would make the problem very simple. The continuity of f would be essential in this case.

But I think it's probably more illuminating to work from first principles. Write out the definition of the derivative of f at x* (epsilon-delta definition of limit), pick a specific sequence converging to x*, and make the appropriate modifications to your definition to show the conclusion.
  4. Jul 23, 2010 #3
    I did what snipez90 said, but I got stuck. I know that it is necessary to apply the Mean Value Theorem, but I don't really understand how. Maybe you can figure out how the MVT can be applied.
  5. Jul 23, 2010 #4
    Take your [tex] x \in I [/tex]. You know that there is a sequence of positive numbers, [tex] h_n [/tex] such that [tex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} h_n = 0 [/tex]. Thus [tex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{f(x + h_n) - f(x)}{h_n} = f'(x) [/tex].

Now look at the difference quotient [f(x + h_n) - f(x)] / h_n . By the MVT [f(x + h_n) - f(x)] / h_n = f'(c_n) for x < c_n < x + h_n

As n goes to infinity that difference quotient gets closer and closer to the derivative of f at x, right? So what can you say about the sequence f'(c_n)?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook