Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Passwords what is the trick?

1. Aug 31, 2011 #1
    A simple one, but maybe helpful for strong passwords.

So your employer wants you to change passwords every few weeks and they must be at least 6 digits, containing at least one letter, at least one digit and at least one special character like #@ etc. Moreover you could only use each pw once. After I ran out of family members I tried something else. I only needed to memorize a two digit number.

47 would get 47v$&b

86 would result in 86h*^g

34 gets 34e#$r

So which password goes with 96 and which with 67?

and why wouldn't I use 28?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2011 #2
    96n(^m,67t^&y you could not use 2 because @ is not allowed.
    In many situations you are restricted to using _ or $ for symbols
    in which case your system does not work.

4. Sep 1, 2011 #3
    Fair enough, the basic idea is triangle patterns on the keybord.

14kz6o9.jpg

With 4 and 7 find the key below to form a equal triangle, the v, then repeat 4,7 with shift, giving $& and then the key next to the v into the direction of the first two keys, the b. Just to make it not too obvious. Hence with 7 and 4 it would have been the c:

74v&$c

Our system used any key for password inclluding the @, but 28 can not be used because you cannot complete the triangle shape.

5. Sep 1, 2011 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Even though your scheme might be useful in defeating the silly password filters, it is also very easy to guess by a password hacker. Your password has very low entropy.

password_strength.png

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook