1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Path Equation for 2D weakly-anisotropic harmonic oscillator

1. Jul 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex]\omega_{x}[/tex] = [tex]\omega[/tex]

[tex]\omega_{y}[/tex] = [tex]\omega[/tex] + [tex]\epsilon[/tex]

where 0 < [tex]\epsilon[/tex]<<[tex]\omega[/tex]

Question: Find the path equation.

2. Relevant equations

I started with the 2D equations:

x(t) = A[tex]_{x}[/tex]cos([tex]\omega_{x}[/tex]t + [tex]\phi_{x}[/tex])
    y(t) = A[tex]_{y}[/tex]cos([tex]\omega_{y}[/tex]t + [tex]\phi_{y}[/tex])

3. The attempt at a solution

by inverting x(t) to get t(x), I then substituted the result into y(t). The result is as below:

y(x) = A[tex]_{y}[/tex]cos[([tex]\omega_{x}[/tex]/[tex]\omega_{y}[/tex])cos[tex]^{-1}[/tex](x/A[tex]_{x}[/tex]) - ([tex]\omega_{x}[/tex]/[tex]\omega_{y}[/tex])[tex]\phi_{x}[/tex] + [tex]\phi_{y}[/tex]]

I guess it becomes more of a mathematical problem. How do I simplify this equation, hopefully to find something familiar? An idea I had was to use double-angle trig formulas but I am not sure how it would help.

I personally think this is quite challenging. I have been thinking about it for days now. I tried all the trig identities I know off to manipulate the equation but I can't seem to get it. Unless I am missing something.

Thanks in advance.

PS: A^x is actually A(subscript)x and similarly, A^y is actually A(subscript)y. I don't know what is wrong with the formatting.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2010 #2
    maybe I should define what the symbols are:

[tex]\omega_{x}[/tex] is the angular frequency in the x-axis
    [tex]\omega_{y}[/tex] is the angular frequency in the y-axis

4. Dec 11, 2010 #3
    I'd try to substitute the [tex]\omega[/tex] you have and then try to expand it by small parameter [tex]\epsilon[/tex]...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook