1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pathline and Streamline problem

1. Jul 27, 2016 #1
    Screen Shot 2016-07-27 at 17.55.55.png 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    As above

2. Relevant equations
    Not sure.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've only ever seen one of these problems and it was in the form of V=Axi-Ayj, so much simpler and even then it was poorly explained by the lecturer. I understand what a velocity field is but not much more.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi, Abigail, :welcome:

Try A=0 to get started. The velocity vector at point ##(1,1)## is ?

4. Jul 29, 2016 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

first paragraph counts as an attempt at solution, I would say. (Choosing C as parameter is unfortunate, though, if the problem statement already has a C.)
    Can't guess what u and v are; the components of ##\vec v## ?
    You found the streamlines at t =0 from ##\vec v = Bx\hat\imath + Cy\hat\jmath##
    Aren't the streamlines for t=1 given by simply substituting t=1 and doing the same thing ?

5. Jul 29, 2016 #4
    Yeah I realised that and changed it to D :) correct, u and v represent the x and y components of V. As for the subbing in t=1, thats what I thought but I cannot seem to get the correct answer (e^3/2) but I'm probably making a silly mistake somewhere and just can't see it

6. Jul 30, 2016 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Check the non-moving dashes in the first picture here (watch out for headaches).
    These dashes at fixed grid points you can draw for t=1 in your exercise. They should suggest the ##e^{3\over 2}##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted