Optimizing Decompression Stop Depth with Partial Derivatives in PDE Simulation

• Thread starter rmurray
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde
In summary: The first part appears to be a rate of change of the decompression stop depth with respect to the tissue halftime for any bottom time (time), depth (Pb), and M value. The second part is a critical value which is quite difficult to solve.In summary, the equations given describe a simulation program for calculating decompression stops. Equation 13 involves a partial derivative with respect to Halftime, which can be expressed as a function of time. However, solving for this critical value is challenging.
rmurray
I haven't worked with partial derivatives since high school 25 years ago so I'm quite a bit rusty and need a little guidance. I'm reading through a paper and would like to write a program to simulate it. The equations are:

Eq 1. Eq 13. M=f*Po+f*(Pb-Po)*(1-ln(e)^(-0.693*time/Halftime)
Eq 10. a=3.25*Halftime^-0.25
Eq 11. Mo=152.7*Halftime^-0.25
Eq 12. D=(M-Mo)/a
Eq 13. D=(f*Po+f*(Pb-Po)*(1-ln(e)^(-0.693*time/Halftime)-Mo)/a

Where:
f= gas fraction
Po= initial pressure
Pb= bottom pressure

I'm having problems setting up equation 13 where:
"The partial derivative of Eq 13 with respect to Halftime is the rate of change of hte decompression stop depth with respect to the tissue halftime for any bottom time(time), depth(Pb), and M value. When this partial derivative equals zero, the stop depth is minimumized and we get the Halftime of hte deepest stop depth. When we substitute the critical halftime value in Eq 13 we get the deepest stop depth."

So Halftime can be expressed as a function of time, but I can not figure out where to get to this point. I can post a link to the paper if anyone needs further clarification.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you,
Rob

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
So after going through and trying a few things, this is the best I can come up with. I'm pretty sure I've gone in the wrong direction, but it was an attempt to solve this:

(10785*x*12833^(693*y/1000*x)+(-29896*y-10785*x)*4721^(693*y/1000*x))/(140205*x^(7/4)*12833^(693*y/1000*x)

Does not seem any easier to solve, so I'm rethinking the process. Solving for x is actually solving for the half-life with y being a function of time.

This appears to be a problem in differentiating. There is no "differential equation" here.

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is a type of mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model complex systems.

2. How do I set up a PDE?

The first step in setting up a PDE is to identify the variables involved and their corresponding partial derivatives. Then, use the appropriate mathematical operations to express the relationship between these variables. Finally, specify any initial or boundary conditions that may be relevant to the problem.

3. What are some common types of PDEs?

Some common types of PDEs include the heat equation, wave equation, and Laplace's equation. These equations have different forms and are used to model different physical phenomena.

4. How do I solve a PDE?

Solving a PDE involves finding a function that satisfies the given equation and conditions. This can be done analytically, using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables or Fourier transforms, or numerically through computational methods.

5. What are some applications of PDEs?

PDEs have many applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. They are used to model heat transfer, fluid flow, and electromagnetism, among other phenomena. They are also used in financial mathematics and image processing.