Do I Need a PE License for Double Majors in Engineering?

• Programs
  • Thread starter theman408
  • Start date
In summary, a PE (Professional Engineer) license for double majors is a state-issued license that allows an individual with a double major in engineering to practice as a professional engineer. The requirements for obtaining this license vary by state, but typically include completing an accredited engineering program, passing the FE and PE exams, and gaining relevant work experience. This license is only available for individuals with a double major in engineering, but some states may allow those with a non-engineering degree to obtain it under certain circumstances. It generally takes a minimum of 4 years to obtain a PE license for double majors, and it offers benefits such as increased job opportunities, higher salaries, and the ability to take on leadership roles and sign off on engineering projects.
theman408
Im curious to know about this. Let's see i do a double major in Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering for example or Mechanical and chemical Engineering. Do i need to do take the PE exam for both engineerings?

Physics news on Phys.org
The first step is to take the EIT. Then, you would take the PE in the field in which you want to become registered.

I am not an expert in engineering licensure. However, based on my understanding, the requirements for obtaining a Professional Engineer (PE) license vary by state and may also depend on your specific area of engineering. In some states, individuals with a double major in engineering may be able to take the PE exam in one discipline and then apply for a license in the other discipline through a process called comity or reciprocity. This would require meeting certain criteria, such as having a certain amount of work experience in the second discipline. It is best to check with your state's engineering board for specific information on obtaining a PE license with a double major.

Related to Do I Need a PE License for Double Majors in Engineering?

1. What is a PE license for double majors?

A PE (Professional Engineer) license for double majors refers to a state-issued license that allows an individual with a double major in engineering to practice as a professional engineer.

2. What are the requirements for obtaining a PE license for double majors?

The requirements for obtaining a PE license for double majors vary by state, but generally include completing an accredited engineering program, passing the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam, gaining relevant work experience, and passing the Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE) exam.

3. Can I get a PE license with a double major in non-engineering fields?

No, a PE license is only available for individuals with a double major in engineering. However, some states may allow individuals with a non-engineering degree to obtain a PE license if they have relevant work experience and pass the FE and PE exams.

4. How long does it take to obtain a PE license for double majors?

The time it takes to obtain a PE license for double majors varies, but generally takes a minimum of 4 years. This includes completing an accredited engineering program, gaining relevant work experience, and passing the FE and PE exams.

5. What are the benefits of having a PE license for double majors?

Holding a PE license for double majors demonstrates a high level of expertise in multiple fields of engineering, which can lead to increased job opportunities and higher salaries. It also allows an individual to take on leadership roles and sign off on engineering projects, increasing their professional credibility.