Pendulum measuring the restorative force HELP

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a pendulum with a length L suspended at an angle theta to measure the restorative force using a force meter attached to the bottom of the pendulum. The expression for the mass can be obtained by balancing the radial force due to gravity with the tension in the string, while the tangential force is measured by the force meter.
milk242
Pendulum measuring the restorative force HELP!

Homework Statement

A pendulum with length L is suspended at an angle theta. At the bottom of the pendulum, a string is attached to force meter. The string attached to the force meter is perpendicular to the pendulum string. In terms of F and theta, find an expression for mass.

Homework Equations

Fg= -mg
(Fg)r = -mgcos(theta)
(Fg)t = -mgsin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

What I get is all the tangential and radial components cancel out equally zero, which I would expect because mass doesn't matter in a pendulum. So I don't understand how I'm suppose to obtain an expression for mass.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-04-11 at 10.15.14 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-04-11 at 10.15.14 PM.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 484
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi milk242, welcome to PF.
Radial force due to mg is balance by the tension in the string. Where as the tangential force is an unbalanced force which tries to bring the bob to the equilibrium position.
Your force meter measures this force, which is perpendicular to the string.

Thanks for your help! I got it now.

1. What is a pendulum and how does it work?

A pendulum is a weight suspended from a fixed point that swings back and forth due to the force of gravity. It works by converting potential energy into kinetic energy as it swings.

2. How is the restorative force of a pendulum measured?

The restorative force of a pendulum is typically measured by the amplitude of its swings. The greater the amplitude, the stronger the restorative force.

3. What factors affect the restorative force of a pendulum?

The restorative force of a pendulum can be affected by various factors such as the length of the pendulum, the mass of the weight, and the angle at which it is released.

4. What is the significance of measuring the restorative force of a pendulum?

Measuring the restorative force of a pendulum can provide important information about the laws of motion and gravity, and can also be used in applications such as timekeeping and energy conversion.

5. Are there any limitations to using a pendulum to measure restorative force?

Yes, there are limitations to using a pendulum to measure restorative force. The pendulum's motion can be affected by external factors such as air resistance and friction, which can impact the accuracy of the measurements.