Pendulum problems - determine speed of the ball

In summary: Lsin(theta)/[square root of gLtan(theta)sin(theta)]frequency = 1/period = [square root of gLtan(theta)sin(theta)]/[2*pi*Lsin(theta)]In summary, to determine the mass of the ball, we can use the equation m = (Tcos theta)/g. To determine the speed of the ball, we can use the equation v = square root of gLtan(theta)sin(theta). And to determine the frequency of revolutions of the ball, we can use the equation frequency = [square root of gLtan(theta)sin(theta)]/[2*pi*Lsin(theta)].
logglypop
A ball is attached to a string with length of L. It swings in a horizontal circle, with a constant speed. The string makes an angle (theta) with the vertical, and T is the magnitude of the tension in the string.

1)Determine the Mass of the Ball.
2)Determine th Speed of the Ball.
3)Determine the Frequency of revolutions of the Ball.

1)
F=Tsin(theta)=ma
m= (Tcos theta)/g

2)
F= (mv^2)/a= Tsin(theta)
v^2= [ aTsin(theta) ] / m
v= square root of [ aTsin(theta) ] / m

3)
T= 2pi time square root of (l /g)
frequency= 1/t
frequency= 1/ [ 2pi time square root of (l /g) ]

I need comment about my solution. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
logglypop said:
A ball is attached to a string with length of L. It swings in a horizontal circle, with a constant speed. The string makes an angle (theta) with the vertical, and T is the magnitude of the tension in the string.

1)Determine the Mass of the Ball.
2)Determine th Speed of the Ball.
3)Determine the Frequency of revolutions of the Ball.

1)
F=Tsin(theta)=ma
m= (Tcos theta)/g

Looks good.

2)
F= (mv^2)/a= Tsin(theta)

don't you mean F = mv^2/r =Tsin(theta) ? and what is r?

also, your final answer should not have m in it... you should write your answer in terms of the given values of L, theta and T.

3)
T= 2pi time square root of (l /g)
frequency= 1/t
frequency= 1/ [ 2pi time square root of (l /g) ]

I need comment about my solution. Thanks

Not sure about part 3 (might be right)... I think it's better to use your v value to derive the frequency. try to use the v value along with the circumference of the circle to get the frequency... might come out to what you have above, in which case you've double checked your answer.

I got new approach on number 2

Tcos(theta)- mg= 0
T= mg/[cos(theta)]

F=Tsin(theta)
F= mg/[cos(theta)] * sin(theta) subtitute for T
F=mgtan(theta)

F=(mv^2)/r r=Lsin(theta)
mgtan(theta)=(mv^2)/ Lsin(theta)
v= square root of gLtan(theta)sin(theta)

please give me some advice

logglypop said:
I got new approach on number 2

Tcos(theta)- mg= 0
T= mg/[cos(theta)]

F=Tsin(theta)
F= mg/[cos(theta)] * sin(theta) subtitute for T
F=mgtan(theta)

F=(mv^2)/r r=Lsin(theta)
mgtan(theta)=(mv^2)/ Lsin(theta)
v= square root of gLtan(theta)sin(theta)

Yes, that looks right to me. now use this v value to get frequency in part 3.

period = 2*pi*r/v

1. How do you determine the speed of a pendulum ball?

The speed of a pendulum ball can be determined by measuring the time it takes for the ball to complete one full swing, also known as its period. The formula for calculating speed is speed = distance/time. In this case, the distance is the length of the pendulum and the time is the period.

2. What factors affect the speed of a pendulum ball?

The speed of a pendulum ball can be affected by several factors, including the length of the pendulum, the angle at which it is released, and the force of gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and friction may also play a role in altering the speed.

3. How does the length of the pendulum affect its speed?

The length of a pendulum is directly proportional to its speed. This means that as the length of the pendulum increases, so does its speed. This relationship is known as a direct relationship, as one variable (length) increases, the other variable (speed) also increases.

4. Can the speed of a pendulum ball change while it is swinging?

Yes, the speed of a pendulum ball can change while it is swinging. As the ball swings back and forth, it experiences changes in gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy. These changes in energy can cause fluctuations in the speed of the ball.

5. How does the angle at which the pendulum is released affect its speed?

The angle at which a pendulum is released does not affect its speed. The only factor that influences the speed of a pendulum is the length of the pendulum. The angle at which the pendulum is released only affects the height and distance of the swing, not the speed.