1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Percent change in thermionic emission

1. Dec 31, 2011 #1
    % change in thermionic emission

Q1. Determine the % change in thermionic emission for an oxide-coated filament of work function of 1.3eV if the temperature is decreased by 1.00% at a temperature of 2300K

I'm uncertain but i used

dJ/J=dT/T ( 2 + ((1160x1.3)/1000)

to get a 15% change in current density. I'm not really good at this so i not sure if i used the formula correctly

Q2. Calculate the % change in therimonic amission from tungsten filament of work function 4.52eV if the work funtion is decreased by 1.00% at a temperature of 2300K

I was really puzzled by this question as the difference is in this question the work function is said to decrease but i do not know how to calculate the % change.

Thanks in advance for all the help given.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2012 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: % change in thermionic emission

Use the old (1901, Richardson) formula for thermionic emission:
    J = K(T^2)exp(-W/kT),

J = thermionic current density
    K = constant peculiar to emitting oxide,
    W = work function of oxide
    T = temperature, Kelvin.

4. Jan 5, 2012 #3

Thanks lots Rude man o:)

Hmm thats interesting i came across a Richardson-Dushmann law as well but it's not so similiar, but thats how i get the "dJ/J=dT/T ( 2 + ((1160x1.3)/1000)". But it's differentiate with respect to the absolute temperature.

Btw do u mean i could use the same formula for both the question cause i dont understand the 2nd question.

Thanks once again

5. Jan 5, 2012 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, the formula isused for both of your questions. Just need a bit of calculus:

dJ/J = (1/J)∂J/∂T*dT + (1/J)∂J/∂W*dW

For your 1st problem, W is constant.
    For your 2nd problem, T is constant.
    Away you go!

PS - from Wikipedia: "Over 60 years later, there is still no consensus amongst interested theoreticians as to what the precise form of the expression for K should be ... "

PPS - for you that makes no difference since K will cancel out when you divide by J.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook