Percent increase/decrease cylinder (no values)

In summary, the volume of a right circular cylinder can increase or decrease by approximately 0.335% if the height increases by 2% and the radius of the base decreases by 1.5%. This can be calculated using partial differentials and finding the percentage change in volume. It is important to properly express the change as a percentage rather than a whole number.
riskybeats
By approximately what percent would the volume of a right circular cylinder increase or decrease if the height were to increase by 2% and the radius of the base were to decrease by 1.5%?

Partial differentials makes sense in this case, I am just stuck when I have no usable values.

Volume of a cylinder = [tex]\pi[/tex]r2h
dV = [tex]\pi[/tex]r2dh + 2[tex]\pi[/tex]r dr

dh = 1.02
dr = .985

I'm stuck in how to translate this in a comparable way to the original cylinder. Any suggestions are welcome!

Physics news on Phys.org
Recheck your expression for dV.

When you do that divide the left side by V and the right side by πr2h and then you can find the percentage.

No, no. dh isn't 1.02, dh/h is 0.02. And the quantity you want to find is the percentage change. That's dV/V.

Okay, the only reason I did 1.02 is because I thought of doing I could express is as a negative/positive percentage. This was obviously a bad move and doesn't make any sense. But I got it now. Thanks for the help everyone!

1. What is a cylinder?

A cylinder is a three-dimensional geometric shape that has two parallel circular bases connected by a curved surface. It is similar to a can or a tube in shape.

2. What does "percent increase/decrease" mean?

Percent increase/decrease is a way to measure the change in a quantity over time. It represents the percentage difference between the new and original values.

3. How do you calculate percent increase/decrease of a cylinder?

To calculate the percent increase/decrease of a cylinder, you need to know the original and new values of the quantity you want to measure. Then, you can use the formula: (new value - original value) / original value * 100%. The result will be the percentage increase or decrease.

4. Can the percent increase/decrease of a cylinder be negative?

Yes, the percent increase/decrease of a cylinder can be negative. This indicates a decrease in the quantity being measured.

5. How is percent increase/decrease of a cylinder different from absolute change?

The percent increase/decrease of a cylinder is a relative measure, while absolute change is an absolute measure. This means that percent increase/decrease takes into account the original value, while absolute change does not. Additionally, percent increase/decrease is expressed as a percentage, while absolute change is expressed as a numerical value.