Period and amplitude of oscillations.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
deezy
Messages
18
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Block “A” is released with initial velocity v=10 m/s. Find the period and the amplitude
of oscillations after inelastic collision of block “A” with block “B”. The mass of block “A” is
2 kg, the mass of block “B” is 2 kg. The spring constants of the springs are 100 N/m and 300
N/m. The surface is frictionless and the springs are massless.

Homework Equations


[tex]E_i = \frac {1}{2} m_A v^2[/tex]
[tex]E_f = \frac {1}{2} k A^2 + \frac {1}{2} (m_A + m_B) v^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



I attached the image of the problem at the bottom.

Trying to find the amplitude of oscillations... I tried [tex]E_i = E_f[/tex].

[tex]\frac {1}{2} m_A v^2 = \frac {1}{2} k A^2 + \frac {1}{2} (m_A + m_B) v^2[/tex]
[tex]200 = 400A^2 + 400[/tex]

Got stuck here, because when I subtract 400 I get -200 on the left side and I can't take the square root... am I setting this up right?
 
Attachments
  • spring problem.png
    spring problem.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 609
Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, I figured out what I was doing wrong.

First you consider the initial and final momentum...
[tex]p_i = p_f[/tex]
[tex]m_A v_i = (m_A + m_B)v_f[/tex]

Solve for [tex]v_f[/tex]...

Then [tex]\frac {1}{2} kA^2 = \frac {1}{2} (m_A + m_B) v^2[/tex].