Period of Oscillation of a Meter Stick

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 9K views
kaydubss
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Measure the period of oscillation of a meter stick suspended at one end for small amplitudes.
Does T = 2*sqrt(2I/mgL) when I is the rotational inertia about one end? Derive this relation.


Homework Equations



I = rotational inertia
m = mass
g = gravitational acceleration
T = period of oscillation

I=mr^2

T=2*pi*sqrt(L/g)

The Attempt at a Solution



I'm not going to lie, I have no idea where to start. Previous period of oscillation problems with a simple pendulum or a spring/glider system were based off of the formula for period that included 2pi divided by the angular frequency. I don't know where the pi went or what to do with the r value if I was to substitute it in. HELP!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think your equation is missing a π in it.


Anyhow, try considering that at a small angle, what the height is (above the lowest point).

For θ being small, what is cosθ and sinθ equal to?

Now try conserving some energy.