Period, the Pendulum and Frequency

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between frequency and period of a pendulum, as well as a problem involving a calorimeter and the final temperature of a system. The conversation emphasizes the importance of showing effort and following forum guidelines when seeking help.
alwysnforevr002
If a pendulum is adjusted so that its frequency changes from 10 Hz to 20 Hz, its period will change from n seconds to what?
a. n/4 seconds.
b. n/2 seconds.
c. 2n seconds.
d. 4n seconds

Physics news on Phys.org
what are your thoughts so far?

Well i think they are inversly related therefore i think the answer should be n/2.

Yes frequency is 1/t so double frequency half the time.

Great! Thank You so much. If you have a moment I have another question.

A 0.10 kg piece of copper at an initial temperature of 95°C is dropped into 0.20 kg of water contained in a 0.28 kg aluminum calorimeter. The water and calorimeter are initially at 15°C. What is the final temperature of the system when it reaches equilibrium?

For this problem i can only find an equation that solves for the intial temperature. I tried to solve this equation and i got 255 degress C which i know has to be incorrect because if the piece of copper starts at 95 degrees celcius and is put in cooler water it is not going to get hotter but colder.
If you cant/do not wish to answer this question that is perfectly fine but thank you again for you reassurance on my last question!

alwys,

1. Try and post questions on different topics in different threads.

2. Read the forum posting guidelines (see my signature for the link). We can only help you if you show your effort first. We will not provide answers to multiple choice questions.

3. For this problem, it looks like you may have made a calculation/arithmetic arror. We can't tell you where the error is unless you show us the steps you took.

1. What is a period and how is it related to pendulums?

A period is the time it takes for one full cycle of a pendulum's swing. It is directly related to the length of the pendulum and the force of gravity acting on it. The longer the pendulum, the longer the period, and the stronger the force of gravity, the shorter the period.

2. Why is frequency important when studying pendulums?

Frequency is the number of periods that occur in a given amount of time. It is important when studying pendulums because it is directly related to the energy and amplitude of the pendulum's swing. A higher frequency means the pendulum is swinging back and forth more quickly, indicating a higher energy and amplitude.

3. How does the length of a pendulum affect its frequency?

The length of a pendulum directly affects its frequency. A shorter pendulum will have a higher frequency as it takes less time to complete one full cycle. A longer pendulum will have a lower frequency as it takes more time to complete one full cycle.

4. What factors affect the period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum is affected by the length of the pendulum, the force of gravity, and the starting angle of the swing. Additionally, the medium in which the pendulum is swinging, such as air resistance, can also affect the period.

5. How is the period of a pendulum calculated?

The period of a pendulum can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the force of gravity. This equation assumes that the starting angle of the pendulum is small (less than 15 degrees) and there is no air resistance.