Periodic solutions in a mechanical system

In summary, the mechanical system described involves a thin tube that can rotate freely in the vertical plane about a fixed horizontal axis passing through its centre ##O##. The system has a moment of inertia of ##J## about this axis and the mass of the tube is symmetrically distributed, with its centre of mass at point ##O##. Inside the tube, there is a small ball with a mass of ##m## that can slide without friction and fall out from the ends of the tube. The system is subjected to the standard gravity field ##\boldsymbol g##, and although it may seem that the ball will simply fall out of the tube, there are actually many periodic solutions where the tube rotates multiple times during the period. The article discusses
wrobel
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Consider the following mechanical system
38f8cb1e517c.png

A thin tube can rotate freely in the vertical plane about a fixed horizontal axis passing through its centre ##O##. A moment of inertia of the tube about this axis is equal to ##J##. The mass of the tube is distributed symmetrically such that tube's centre of mass is placed at the point ##O##.

Inside the tube there is a small ball which can slide without friction. The mass of the ball is ##m##. The ball can pass by the point ##O## and fall out from the ends of the tube.

The system undergoes the standard gravity field ##\boldsymbol g##

It seems to be evident that for typical motion the ball reaches an end of the tube and falls down out the tube. It is surprisingly, at least for the first glance, that this system has very many periodic solutions such that the tube turns around several times during the period.

For details see http://www.ma.utexas.edu/mp_arc/c/16/16-60.pdf
http://www.ma.utexas.edu/mp_arc/c/16/16-61.pdf

comments are welcome :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes FactChecker, beamie564 and S.G. Janssens
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Very nice system, thank you. If I find the time, I could study the manuscript.

Would it be possible to produce some numerical simulations as well, so readers can visualise this counterintuitive motion? If you could do that, and you could give the gist of the proof without all technical details (which I like, but may be a bit too much), perhaps it is a good candidate for an "insight"? It is merely an idea.

Last edited:
Likes FactChecker
Krylov said:
Would it be possible to produce some numerical simulations as well, so readers can visualise this counterintuitive motion?
I do not think so, anyway to catch those solutions numerically or somehow else it is a much more complicated problem than one I solved. Consider it as a pure existence theorem

Last edited:
wrobel said:
I do not think so, anyway to catch those solutions numerically or somehow else it is a much more complicated problem than one I solved. Consider it as a pure existence theorem
That is all right, though I am still curious. Perhaps it would be possible to set up a suitable boundary value problem, the nontrivial solution(s) of which correspond(s) to the periodic orbits of the original system? The BVP may not enjoy uniqueness, but maybe this way you could catch at least some solutions numerically.

This is a representation of one of the solutions, found with the NDSolve function of Mathematica, and by trial and error on the initial conditions:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/503888/file.gif

Likes FactChecker, beamie564 and wrobel
Yes, such a type solution can be found by linearization of system (1.1) near the equilibrium ##\phi=0,\quad x=0##. But the article is about completely different periodic solutions. It is about the solutions such that the tube rotates several times during the period.

Krylov said:
ious. Perhaps it would be possible to set up a suitable boundary value problem, the nontrivial solution(s) of which correspond(s) to the periodic orbits of the original system? The BVP may not enjoy uniqueness, but maybe this way you could catch at least some solutions numerically.
I believe it is possible to approximate the periodic solution by finite trigonometric polynomials and find their coefficients from the minimization problem from the article. In this case one must solve minimization problem for a function on finite
dimensional space. (Galerkin method)

Last edited:
Vincenzo Tibullo said:
This is a representation of one of the solutions, found with the NDSolve function of Mathematica, and by trial and error on the initial conditions:
See the comment in post #7. Still, I think it is nice that you tried this out, thank you. I have no idea how difficult it is to just guess initial conditions that lie on a periodic orbit of the type discussed in the article. Did you try that, too?
wrobel said:
I believe it is possible to approximate the periodic solution by finite trigonometric polynomials and find their coefficients from the minimization problem from the article. In this case one must solve minimization problem for a function on finite
dimensional space. (Galerkin method)
I think that would be an interesting addition to (or continuation of) what is already an interesting article.

Likes vanhees71
Krylov said:
See the comment in post #7. Still, I think it is nice that you tried this out, thank you. I have no idea how difficult it is to just guess initial conditions that lie on a periodic orbit of the type discussed in the article. Did you try that, too?
I'm trying, but no luck, probably also due to the numerical errors of the algorithm internally used by the Mathematica function.

Likes S.G. Janssens
Another possible motion

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/503888/file2.gif

and the corresponding time diagrams

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/503888/graphics.png

Likes FactChecker, kith, mfb and 5 others
I am guessing that these orbits are unstable? Or are there any stable orbits as well?

wrobel said:
A thin tube can rotate freely in the vertical plane about a fixed horizontal axis passing through its centre ##O##.

There is a rod going through the center of the tube? How can the ball pass from one side to the other?

tionis said:
There is a rod going through the center of the tube?
What makes you think that? "Axis" is not the same as "rod". There is absolutely nothing in the problem that suggests this and it is anyway a trivial construction to make without the rod through the centre. The less trivial part is "frictionless". This is an A-level thread, please treat it as such.

Likes tionis
Orodruin said:
What makes you think that? "Axis" is not the same as "rod". There is absolutely nothing in the problem that suggests this and it is anyway a trivial construction to make without the rod through the centre. The less trivial part is "frictionless". This is an A-level thread, please treat it as such.

Ah, ok. Thanks for clearing that up.

Orodruin said:
I am guessing that these orbits are unstable? Or are there any stable orbits as well?

What do you mean by "stable"? Given that ## \theta ## increases (or decreases) at each time interval of length ## \omega ##, this is not a motion around an equilibrium position, so the usual concept of stability of an equilibrium position does not apply.

Vincenzo Tibullo said:
What do you mean by "stable"?
That for any point in phase space on the periodic orbit, there exists a neighbourhood such that any point in that neighbourhood is part of a periodic orbit.

I am talking about orbital stability, not stability in terms of a stationary point of the system.

Last edited:
Vincenzo Tibullo said:
What do you mean by "stable"? Given that ## \theta ## increases (or decreases) at each time interval of length ## \omega ##, this is not a motion around an equilibrium position, so the usual concept of stability of an equilibrium position does not apply.
Orodruin said:
That for any point in phase space on the periodic orbit, there exists a neighbourhood such that any point in that neighbourhood is part of a periodic orbit.

I am talking about orbital stability, not stability in terms of a stationary point of the system.
If you prefer to talk about stability of points instead, you could reduce the problem of (in)stability of the periodic orbit to (in)stability of the fixed point of a suitably defined Poincaré map.

@Vincenzo Tibullo: Great example.

Can you share the inital values?
For the easiest motion (k=0) I found x=1, θ=0.4622, ##\dot x = \dot \theta = 0## at t=0. It is unstable, not surprising I think. I would expect all solutions to be unstable.

I wonder how solutions with very large k and small ω look like. Wild rotations with tiny motion of the masses, but how does that give a periodic orbit?

1. What is a periodic solution in a mechanical system?

A periodic solution in a mechanical system is a solution in which the system repeats its motion after a certain period of time. This means that the system will go through the same sequence of states and return to its initial state after a set amount of time.

2. How are periodic solutions different from other types of solutions in a mechanical system?

Unlike other types of solutions, periodic solutions in a mechanical system involve repetitive motion and a fixed period of time. Other types of solutions may involve more complex or irregular patterns of motion.

3. What factors affect the existence and stability of periodic solutions in a mechanical system?

The existence and stability of periodic solutions in a mechanical system are affected by factors such as the system's initial conditions, external forces, and the system's natural frequency. These factors can either support or disrupt the periodic behavior of the system.

4. Can a mechanical system have multiple periodic solutions?

Yes, a mechanical system can have multiple periodic solutions. This can occur when the system has multiple natural frequencies or when external forces cause the system to exhibit multiple periodic behaviors simultaneously.

5. How are periodic solutions useful in understanding and analyzing mechanical systems?

Periodic solutions are useful in understanding and analyzing mechanical systems because they provide insights into the system's behavior over time. By studying these solutions, we can determine the system's natural frequency, predict its future motion, and design more efficient and stable systems.