1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Permeability and Permittivity of Free space versus particules

1. Mar 15, 2009 #1
    We know for sure €0 and µ0 for free space.
    We know as well €r and µr for material
    Have theses values been calculated for stand alone particles like an electron, a proton or a neutron?
    Have somebody then connected theses values to an atom (of hydrogen for example) which is a combination of moving particules an free space ?

Can anybody help?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2009 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Permittivity and permeability are properties of continuous media. A single atom is not a continuous medium. What you want doesn't exist.

4. Mar 16, 2009 #3
    No one knows what an electron is, let alone any material properties. I've seen people try to assign a higher permittivity to a sphere as a model. If I were to try such a model, I'd increase both permittivity and permeability proportionately so that Z is constant and c decreases. You could then view particles as local increases in space "density". In fact, it would be interesting to derive the radial dependency required to make an em wave "orbit" such a sphere.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook