Personal Wealth Model using DE's

• Thread starter shad0w0f3vil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Model
In summary: Ok I think I see what you're saying now, I have to multiply by the reciprocal of the coefficient and then just integrate it like normal. I'm not sure why I didn't see that before. Thank you very much for your help.Ok I think I see what you're saying now, I have to multiply by the reciprocal of the coefficient and then just integrate it like normal. I'm not sure why I didn't see that before. Thank you very much for your help.In summary, the conversation is about solving a differential equation for a personal wealth model using two different functions. The first function, dW/dt=(1-p)(s-n+rW), represents a person's wealth at any given time t and takes
shad0w0f3vil
[SOLVED] Personal Wealth Model using DE's

Hey, I am having trouble with this question.

Most people have an income that comes from 2 sources: salary and personal investments. From this income, 'necessary' expenses (housing, food) are paid, some money is spent on luxuries and the rest is saved (increasing investments).

Given that income must equal outflow, show the steps in developing the following mathematics model for a person's wealth at any time t:

dW/dt=(1-p)(s-n+rW)
Where s= your salary
W(t)= your wealth (savings), which is a function of time
r= rate of interest on your wealth (savings)
n= amount spent on necessities
p=proportion of your income after necessities that you spend on luxuries.

Ok what I have to try to figure out is how to differentiate this model (if possible) to get it to the form of:

W(t)=((s-n)/r)(e^((1-p)rt)-1)

I'm not sure whether this is sufficient information as I left what appeared to be a lot of irrelevant information out.

Thanks very much for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF Shadow,

Firstly, I'm not quite sure what the question is asking. Are you given this,
shad0w0f3vil said:
dW/dt=(1-p)(s-n+rW)
Or do you have to derive it?

We are given that function and are then asked to differentiate it (if possible), and if we can it should equal the second model for W(t), which was also given to us.

In other words we have to show the steps to obtaining the W(t) function from the original function.

Sorry if this isn't making much sense, if you want me to explain futher I will.

shad0w0f3vil said:
We are given that function and are then asked to differentiate it (if possible), and if we can it should equal the second model for W(t), which was also given to us.

In other words we have to show the steps to obtaining the W(t) function from the original function.

Sorry if this isn't making much sense, if you want me to explain futher I will.

No, it makes perfect sense. However, there's one thing that we have to fix up before we can start. The equation which you quoted,
shad0w0f3vil said:
dW/dt=(1-p)(s-n+rW)
Is a differential equation for w(t) and therefore we need to integrate it to find an expression for w(t) not differentiate it.

So what type of differential equation is it?

Seems like there is not much to derive if all of that is part of the givens. I'm guessing s, r, n, p are assumed to be constant functions so basically you have a DE that's first order and linear in W, so use separation of variables and you'll find W.

Hootenanny said:
No, it makes perfect sense. However, there's one thing that we have to fix up before we can start. The equation which you quoted,

Is a differential equation for w(t) and therefore we need to integrate it to find an expression for w(t) not differentiate it.

So what type of differential equation is it?

Yes I realized that I need to integrate it last night before I went to sleep.

I am a bit confused by your question... Do you mean what method should I use to solve it? Like partial fractions or DE's with separable variables? If so I think I should be using partial fractions.

genjuro911 said:
Seems like there is not much to derive if all of that is part of the givens. I'm guessing s, r, n, p are assumed to be constant functions so basically you have a DE that's first order and linear in W, so use separation of variables and you'll find W.

ok I think I understand that. The thing that's confusing me is when I have to integrate it, there is no 't' to integrate with respect to. Does this matter at all?

shad0w0f3vil said:
I am a bit confused by your question... Do you mean what method should I use to solve it? Like partial fractions or DE's with separable variables? If so I think I should be using partial fractions.
Sounds good to me :approve:. However, there's no need to use partial fractions,

[tex]\frac{dW}{dt} = (1-p)(s-n+rW) \Rightarrow \frac{1}{s-nr+W} \frac{dW}{dt} =1-p[/tex]

For [itex]s\neq nr+W[/itex]. Notice that everything is constant except for W. Can you take it from here?

Last edited:
umm I have to go to school now, I will give it a shot there and let you know.

Thanks

P.S. should it be s-n+rW?

shad0w0f3vil said:
P.S. should it be s-n+rW?
Of course it should, sorry it was a typo, which I corrected appropriately above.

I tried to intgrate it by taking dt over to the other side and integrating both sides. But I am not sure how to go about integrating it. For example on the right side does it become t+pt + c, and I don't have a clue how to integrate the left side.

shad0w0f3vil said:
I tried to intgrate it by taking dt over to the other side and integrating both sides. But I am not sure how to go about integrating it. For example on the right side does it become t+pt + c, and I don't have a clue how to integrate the left side.
You're almost correct, just watch your signs. Now for the LHS we have,

[tex]\int\frac{dW}{s-nr+W}[/tex]

Notice that the denominator is a linear function of W, how do you usually integrate one over a linear function?

HINT:

[tex]\frac{d}{dW}\left(s-nr+W\right) = 1[/tex]

Ummm do you take out the coefficient of what you're integrating with respect to, in this case it would be 1.

then it would be 1/1 ln(s-nr+W)?

Also, why does the r move off the W and onto the n? I don't quite get that sorry.

shad0w0f3vil said:
Ummm do you take out the coefficient of what you're integrating with respect to, in this case it would be 1.

then it would be 1/1 ln(s-nr+W)?

Also, why does the r move off the W and onto the n? I don't quite get that sorry.
Sorry, I've been making a lot of typos recently. The r should remain the coefficient of the W.

no that's quite allright. I appreciate your help.

So was my method of integrating correct?

Last edited:
shad0w0f3vil said:
no that's quite allright. I appreciate your help.

So was my method of integrating correct?
Yes it was, but note that your integral will change since W now has a coefficient r.

ok so it would be

1/r ln (s-n+W)=t-pt+c
ln (s-n+W)=tr-ptr+c
s-n+W=e^((1-p)rt)*e^c
W=(A*e^((1-p)rt))-s+n, where A=e^c

?

You seem to be missing the coefficient of W in your logarithm :wink:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I don't really understand what I'm doing above, I am just going through rules we learned in class.

Are you trying to say that when i integrate it should be 1/r ln (s-n+rW)?

Yes, that should be correct. I got the same answer.

shad0w0f3vil said:
1/r ln (s-n+W)=t-pt+c
shad0w0f3vil said:
Are you trying to say that when i integrate it should be 1/r ln (s-n+rW)?
The latter solution looks good to me :approve: Notice the factor of r in your second answer.

ok thanks, so is it possible to get it to look like the wealth function W(t). I guess before I do that I would have to find c. Not sure how to do it though.

You need an initial condition before you can find C, the constant of integration. This is given explicitly in the question, but you can think about it. What is the value of W at t=0?

Once you figure that out you can obtain the equation as given by your first post.

ok thanks. I would assume that when t=0, W=0.

I just don't understand one thiing. In the wealth model it appears to be ((s-n)/r)*(e^((1-p)rt)-1).

Currently, the s,n and r are just either added or subtracted.

Huh? What does that mean? Don't you get the answer when you assume W(0)=0? By the way I meant "not given explicitly" but i couldn't edit my post.

yeh that's pretty much the same thing. thanks

so is that what i do, find the value of c when W=0?

Well, if you got the answer by doing that, doesn't that strongly suggest that is the correct method?

well yes, but i didnt understand entirely what you were saying.

Since the question doesn't explicitly state that you have no savings at t=0, it would be much better to set W(0) = W0, where W0 is the initial amount of money in your savings account.

ok i understand that, we did that sort of thing in class last week. I will look at that... thanks

thanks for everybody that helped me, I finally solved it. if you could help with any assumptions that were made during the procedure it would be greatly appreciated. Also any strengths and limitations of either model.

how do you delete a thread?

Why do you want to delete it? You can request a PF mentor or admin to do so, but I doubt they'll agree, especially if there is nothing offensive about it. Even offensive and incendiary threads are locked, not deleted.

ok i just didnt have a need and it was from an assignment

1. What is a Personal Wealth Model using DE's?

A Personal Wealth Model using DE's, or differential equations, is a mathematical model that uses differential equations to analyze and predict an individual's personal wealth over time. It takes into account various factors such as income, expenses, investments, and other financial decisions to create a dynamic model of an individual's wealth accumulation.

2. How does a Personal Wealth Model using DE's differ from other financial models?

A Personal Wealth Model using DE's differs from other financial models in that it takes into account the dynamic nature of wealth accumulation. Other models may only look at a snapshot of an individual's financial situation, while a DE model considers how wealth changes over time based on various factors and decisions.

3. What are the benefits of using a Personal Wealth Model using DE's?

One of the main benefits of using a Personal Wealth Model using DE's is its ability to provide a more accurate and realistic prediction of an individual's wealth over time. It also allows for the analysis of different scenarios and the impact of various financial decisions on an individual's wealth.

4. Are there any limitations to using a Personal Wealth Model using DE's?

Like any model, a Personal Wealth Model using DE's has its limitations. It relies on assumptions and simplifications, and may not account for all variables and external factors that can affect an individual's wealth. It is important to regularly update and adjust the model as circumstances change.

5. Can a Personal Wealth Model using DE's be used for financial planning?

Yes, a Personal Wealth Model using DE's can be a useful tool for financial planning. It can provide insights and predictions that can help individuals make informed decisions about their finances. However, it should not be the only tool used for financial planning and should be used in conjunction with other methods and professional advice.