Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pesky change of variables in integral

1. Jul 19, 2012 #1
    Hi All,

I've managed to confuse myself with a simple change of variables.

I have an integral of the form:
    $$
    I = \int_f^{\infty} dt \int_0^1 ds\, t\, F(t(1-s),ts),
    $$
    where $F(a,b)$ is some well behaved function and $f$ is a positive number. I want to change variables:
    $$
    x = t(1-s), \qquad y = ts,
    $$
    in terms of which the integral reads:
    $$
    I = \int_{x_i}^{x_f} dx \int_{y_i}^{y_f} dy\, F(x,y).
    $$
    I would naively conclude that:
    $$
    x_i=y_i=0,\qquad x_f=y_f=\infty,
    $$
    but this must be wrong because it is independent of f!

My question is: what are the limits of integration in the new variables and why?

Thanks in advance!
    Wakabaloola

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2012 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I suggest you do it one step at a time. First y = ts, so dy = tds, while the y limits become 0 and t. Second step, switch integration order, so t is inner integral. Finally let x = t-y, so dx=dt and the x limits will change accordingly.

4. Jul 19, 2012 #3
    So, first step leads to:
    $$
    I = \int_f^{\infty}dt \int_0^t dy F(t-y,y).
    $$
    How can I then switch the integration order (given that the y integral has t-dependent limits)?

Thanks for your response!

5. Jul 19, 2012 #4
    OK, I think I figured it out.

The region of integration in the (t,s) variables is the rectangle specified by the four vertices (f,0), (f,1), (L,1) and (L,0), with L->Infinity.

In the new variables (x,y), the region of of integration is a trapezoidal specified by four vertices (f,0), (0,f), (0,L) and (L,0), which (taking L->Infinity) can equivalently be described as the area of the first quadrant of the (x,y) plane less the area associated to a triangle with vertices (0,0), (0,f) and (f,0). That is,
    $$
    I = \int_0^{\infty}dx \int_0^{\infty}dy \,F(x,y) - \int_0^f dx\int_0^{f-x}dy\, F(x,y)
    $$

6. Jul 19, 2012 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are treating t as a constant here which is not true.

You need, instead, the "Jacobian".
    With x= t(1- s), y= st, t= x+ y and s= y/(x+ y).

[tex]dsdt= \left|\begin{array}{cc}\frac{\partial s}{\partial x} & \frac{\partial s}{\partial y} \\ \frac{\partial t}{\partial x} & \frac{\partial t}{\partial y}\end{array}\right|dxdy= \left|\begin{array}{cc} y & x+ 2y \\ 1 & 1 \end{array}\right|dxdy= -(x+y)dxdy[/tex]

7. Jul 19, 2012 #6
    I find instead:
    $$
    dx\wedge dy = (dt(1-s)-tds)\wedge (tds+sdt) = (1-s)t dt\wedge ds-st ds\wedge dt = tds\wedge dt
    $$

8. Jul 19, 2012 #7
    You just made a small mistake with the combining of terms here.

[tex](1-s)t \; dt \wedge ds - st \; ds \wedge dt = (t - st + st) \; dt \wedge ds = t \; dt \wedge ds = - t \; ds \wedge dt[/tex]

Nevertheless, you already have the integral in terms of [itex]ds \wedge dt[/itex]. You'll have to go backwards to find it in terms of [itex]dx \wedge dy[/itex].

9. Jul 19, 2012 #8
    what mistake did I make, sorry I don't see it!

10. Jul 19, 2012 #9
    When you multiplied out [itex](1-s)t \; dt \wedge ds[/itex] you somehow got a term that was [itex]t \; ds \wedge dt[/itex] instead of [itex]t \; dt \wedge ds[/itex]. This caused your result to be off by a factor of -1.

11. Jul 19, 2012 #10
    Oh yes, I see, thanks! (I may be dyslexic)

12. Jul 19, 2012 #11
    Thanks to all who thought about this question!
    I am satisfied with the answer in post n.4.
    Wakabaloola

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook