1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PH effects on membrane permeability

1. Oct 5, 2007 #1
    I had this lab done where we took beets and tested the effects of pH on membrane permeability.

We used different concentrations of HCl and NaOH. Why did I get such a strong colour intensity with a test tube that had 0.001 M NaOH? And how do I know this experiment affected the protein membrane? These are probably silly questions to ask.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2007 #2

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to the PF forums!! if you haven't already looked around, you will find a lot of interesting and informative discussions here.

If you have homework questions like this one about a lab you are working on, you should explain what you have learned so far about your experiment. Can you think of a reason why a certain concentration of NaOH or HCl would produce a strong colour? Perhaps you can do some reading about pigments in beets and find out what kind of membranes protect them from leaking out of the cells. Then you could formulate an hypothesis to explain your results. The main thing is to show us your thoughts, then we can offer our thoughts and expertise. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?