Phase change in heat engines & heat pumps

In summary, the question is whether having a liquid-vapor phase change in a heat engine or heat pump is more desirable. It is generally agreed that having a larger area enclosed by the loop in a P-V diagram is desirable for a heat engine and undesirable for a heat pump. However, there is no general answer as to whether a liquid-vapor phase change within the cycle would increase or decrease this area. The change in state enables the horizontal stretching, which is the key to the magic of a heat pump. While an ideal-gas heat pump could theoretically be built, the efficiency would be low due to the small amount of energy involved in the compression compared to the pressure energy. In refrigeration cycles, it is often convenient to show both
Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
This question has been in the back of my mind for a while. In short, is having a phase change between liquid and vapor more desirable for a heat engine or for a heat pump?

Clearly, having a large area enclosed by the loop in a P-V diagram increased the amount of work in the cycle, so anything that enlargens that area would be desirable for a heat engine and undesirable for a heat pump or refrigerator. So, does a liquid-vapor phase change within the cycle tend to increase or decrease this area -- or is there no general answer?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Redbelly98 said:
Clearly, having a large area enclosed by the loop in a P-V diagram increased the amount of work in the cycle, so anything that enlargens that area would be desirable for a heat engine and undesirable for a heat pump or refrigerator.
No, I don't think so. I've never really thought about it in those terms, but it seems to me that for a heat engine you want to increase the area vertically and for a heat pump you want to increase it horizontally, but an overall enlarging is not necessarily desirable: efficiency is about the ratio between work and heat, not about maximizing the work or heat for a given mass flow rate.
So, does a liquid-vapor phase change within the cycle tend to increase or decrease this area -- or is there no general answer?
Well, without a liquid-vapor change, the area inside would be zero. The change in state is what enables the horizontal stretching because that's where the input and output of heat happens. The magic of a heat pump is in having the phase changes happen at two different temperatures, allowing heat absorption from an area that's already cold and heat rejection to an area that's already warm.

russ_watters said:
No, I don't think so. I've never really thought about it in those terms, but it seems to me that for a heat engine you want to increase the area vertically and for a heat pump you want to increase it horizontally, but an overall enlarging is not necessarily desirable: efficiency is about the ratio between work and heat, not about maximizing the work or heat for a given mass flow rate.
Okay, that does sound like a better way of thinking about it. Thanks.

Well, without a liquid-vapor change, the area inside would be zero.
I think I'm missing something. The Carnot Cycle (for example) for an ideal gas would enclose a non-zero area, without a phase change. Or is it a matter of what is practical to actually build and operate?

The change in state is what enables the horizontal stretching because that's where the input and output of heat happens. The magic of a heat pump is in having the phase changes happen at two different temperatures, allowing heat absorption from an area that's already cold and heat rejection to an area that's already warm.

BTW, I've started doing some self study with a copy of Cengel & Boles's Thermodynamis (3rd ed.) The chapter on refrigerators and heat pumps is full of T-s diagrams, no P-v ones which would help me visualize the process better. When I can, I'll try constructing P-v diagrams for water as well as refrigerant from the tables in the book.

Last edited:
Redbelly98 said:
I think I'm missing something. The Carnot Cycle (for example) for an ideal gas would enclose a non-zero area, without a phase change. Or is it a matter of what is practical to actually build and operate?
Hmm... you're right, but I'm trying to envision whether an ideal-gas heat pump could actually be built...

...I suppose you could: when you compress air with an air compressor, it heats up. When you expand it through a throttling valve, it cools. Then I guess maybe the real reason we don't use them is that the heat energy of the compression is a lot smaller than the pressure energy, so the efficiency would be pretty low. There is a lot of energy involved in a phase change - I suppose that widens the diagram.

Redbelly98 said:
BTW, I've started doing some self study with a copy of Cengel & Boles's Thermodynamis (3rd ed.) The chapter on refrigerators and heat pumps is full of T-s diagrams, no P-v ones which would help me visualize the process better. When I can, I'll try constructing P-v diagrams for water as well as refrigerant from the tables in the book.

Often times it's convenient to show both T-s and P-v diagrams for a cycle. A P-v diagram has trouble showing a isentropic process while a T-s diagram has difficulties showing an isobaric process.

For example, if you wiki the Brayton cycle (what gas turbine engines are typically modeled as), it shows both
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3c/Brayton_cycle.svg

It just so happens to be more convenient in the refrigeration cycle to show it in the T-s diagram because it's easier to visualize the phase change...IMHO.

1. What is a phase change in a heat engine?

A phase change in a heat engine refers to the process in which a substance changes from one phase (solid, liquid, or gas) to another, typically as a result of changes in temperature and pressure. This phase change can significantly impact the efficiency and performance of the heat engine.

2. How does a phase change affect the operation of a heat pump?

A phase change in a heat pump can greatly impact its ability to transfer heat. For example, in a vapor-compression heat pump, the refrigerant undergoes a phase change from liquid to gas in the evaporator, absorbing heat from the surrounding environment. This heat is then released when the refrigerant condenses back into a liquid in the condenser, providing heat for the desired space or process.

3. What is the difference between a heat engine and a heat pump?

While both heat engines and heat pumps use the principles of thermodynamics to transfer heat, their main difference lies in their purpose. A heat engine is designed to convert heat energy into mechanical work, while a heat pump is designed to transfer heat from one location to another, typically from a cooler environment to a warmer one.

4. How do phase changes impact the overall efficiency of a heat engine?

Phase changes can greatly affect the efficiency of a heat engine, as they can result in energy losses and changes in the working fluid's properties. For example, the phase change from liquid to gas in a steam engine can result in energy losses due to vaporization and condensation, reducing the overall efficiency of the engine.

5. What are some examples of phase changes in common heat engines and heat pumps?

Some common examples of phase changes in heat engines and heat pumps include the evaporation and condensation of refrigerants in vapor-compression heat pumps, the melting and solidification of water in a steam engine, and the sublimation and deposition of dry ice in a refrigeration system.