Phase Diff: Why Does 180° Change Occur?

In summary: When a wave crosses an interface between two media with different indices of refraction, the wave's phase velocity changes. If the phase velocity of the wave is changed by more than a certain amount, then a reflected wave is generated. When the wave is reflected off of a boundary with a lower index of refraction, the wave's phase velocity is changed less than when it is reflected off of a boundary with a higher index of refraction, and the reflected wave is in phase with the original wave.
sheld
Why phase difference of EM wave is changed 180 degrees reflected from denser medium?
I will be glad if u give me the actual reason [emoji4]

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for ur help to provide this link... though I have little bit confusion, I will figure it out..

sheld said:
Why phase difference of EM wave is changed 180 degrees reflected from denser medium?
I will be glad if u give me the actual reason [emoji4]
The 'reason' can be explained in terms of a change of impedance and the requirement for continuity at the boundary. At the interface, there has to be continuity of E and H fields - as a wave crosses, if the ratio of E/H changes (different phase velocity) then there must be a reflected wave because all the energy can't pass through. One or other of the Electric or Magnetic fields in the reflected wave will be in anti phase so that there is no change in field across the boundary. Which one changes sign, depends on whether the impedance of the second is greater or less than the impedance of the first medium.
This link may help or, maybe this one.

Likes sheld
Thanks for ur link [emoji4]

An electromagnetic wave undergoes a phase change of 180° upon reflection from a medium that has a higher index of refraction than the one in which the wave is traveling.

Leesa Johnson said:
An electromagnetic wave undergoes a phase change of 180° upon reflection from a medium that has a higher index of refraction than the one in which the wave is traveling.
The OP wants a reason / explanation, though. Why would you expect the reflection from a lower index of refraction boundary to be in phase?

1. What is phase difference and why does it occur?

Phase difference refers to the difference in phase between two waves. It occurs because waves are constantly changing, and when two waves are added together, their individual phases can either add up or cancel out, resulting in a phase difference.

2. How is phase difference measured?

Phase difference is measured in degrees or radians. It can be calculated by comparing the starting points of two waves or by measuring the time it takes for the waves to complete one full cycle.

3. What causes a phase difference of 180°?

A phase difference of 180° occurs when two waves are completely out of phase, meaning they are in opposite directions. This can happen when two waves with the same amplitude and frequency are added together, but one is shifted by half a wavelength.

4. How does a phase difference of 180° affect the resulting wave?

A phase difference of 180° results in a phenomenon called destructive interference. This means that the two waves cancel each other out and the resulting wave has a lower amplitude or even disappears completely.

5. Can a phase difference of 180° be beneficial in any way?

Yes, a phase difference of 180° can be used in noise-cancelling technology, where two sound waves with opposite phases are produced to cancel each other out and reduce background noise. It is also used in antennas and radio transmissions to help improve signal quality.