1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phase Transitions and Critical Phenomena

1. Nov 14, 2009 #1
    Phase Transitions and Critical Phenomena!!

First 2 questions are not mathematical questions.So if there is someone who knows about what im talking about i would be glad to hear what critical phenomena is about, i know i can use google for it and i actually did. But they are not really useful since they use "Encyclopedia Language".....

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(a) What is a renormalization-group transformation?
    (b) What is the physical significance of a renormalization-group fixed point?
    (c) Starting from the relation T’ – TC = λ (T – TC) near the fixed point at TC, derive the
    correlation length critical exponent ν occurring in ξ = ξ0 |T-TC| - ν. The length
    rescaling factor b of the renormalization-group transformation will occur in your
    answer.

2. Relevant equations

relevant equations are give in (c)

3. The attempt at a solution
    ---

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2010 #2
    Re: Phase Transitions and Critical Phenomena!!

(a) it is a transformation that rexpresses your physical situation in terms of lower energy degrees of freedom but keeping the same physical content. It is related to a change of observation scale (always from microscopic to macroscopic situation, in this sense it is a semi-group)

(b) a fixed point is when your theory decomes scale invariant i.e. when doing RG transformation, it keeps the same properties.

(c) My god ! You know nothing about RG and you want to have your problem solved ? Go to see the wiki page ! Even there you can find the solution !!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook