Superposition of Phases: A Key Concept in Connecting QFT and Statistical Physics

In summary: I wonder what is to be seen in the video given by Demystifier.The video shows how fluctuations can exist at every scale in a system undergoing a discontinuous phase transition.
Heidi
Homework Statement: relation between qft and statistical physics
Homework Equations: domains with equal values

I read a french paper about Kenneth Wilson.
i translate several sentences (with google):

it was demonstrated in 1960 by Kenneth Wilson that renormalization formed an incongruous bridge between statistical physics and quantum field theory.
He connected the behavior of a system during a transition second-order phase to the behavior of a QFT field. More specifically, during the second-order phase transition, two phases of matter overlap, which leads to
scale invariance at the critical point.

My question is about this overlapping. the french word is "superpose"

How can phases overlap or be superposed? superposition is used in qft but here what does it mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
Heidi said:
Homework Statement: relation between qft and statistical physics
Homework Equations: domains with equal values

I read a french paper about Kenneth Wilson.
i translate several sentences (with google):

it was demonstrated in 1960 by Kenneth Wilson that renormalization formed an incongruous bridge between statistical physics and quantum field theory.
He connected the behavior of a system during a transition second-order phase to the behavior of a QFT field. More specifically, during the second-order phase transition, two phases of matter overlap, which leads to

My question is about this overlapping. the french word is "superpose"

How can phases overlap or be superposed? superposition is used in qft but here what does it mean?
The word 'phase' in statistical physics can mean a phase of matter such as solid, liquid, vapour or plasma. Naturally in QFT it means something different.

Different phases of matter can co-exist at their boundary and this is sometimes called a superposition. See for instance Rao, Statistical Physics and Thermodynamics, Oxford ( 2017), chapter 8.

Last edited:
Likes mfb and Abhishek11235
thanks. I can understand that there are domains separated by walls in which the phases overlap. What is happening a the critical point for the walls and the domains?

Heidi said:
What is happening a the critical point for the walls and the domains?
It is greatly illustrated in this video:

(I have found the link to this video in the lectures by Tong on Statistical Field Theory.)

• Informative
Likes Mentz114
Is it a simulation on a computer?

Heidi said:
More specifically, during the second-order phase transition, two phases of matter overlap, which leads to

I think even at best this is very imprecise phrasing. It is often useful to think of a first-order or discontinuous phase transition as a region where two (generically very different) phases coexist. These transitions are not scale invariant and not described by QFT or RG, but I would say that in these systems two phases of matter are overlapping.

In contrast, as continuous or critical phase transitions, the thermodynamic properties of the system change continuously (but still with non-analyticities), so this only happens between phases that are somehow "similar." I like to think of the critical state to be like a phase in itself (and in fact there are stable phases with scale invariance). It's kind of like a balancing act between two very similar phases - see the nice video posted by Demystifier.

Mentz114 said:
The word 'phase' in statistical physics can mean a phase of matter such as solid, liquid, vapour or plasma. Naturally in QFT it means something different.
I've never encountered a difference between the use of the word in those two fields. After all, QFT is one of the primary tools used in statistical physics to study criticality, and it is also common to consider QFTs at finite temperature where one needs statistical physics anyways.

king vitamin said:
[..]
Naturally in QFT it means something different.
I've never encountered a difference between the use of the word in those two fields. After all, QFT is one of the primary tools used in statistical physics to study criticality, and it is also common to consider QFTs at finite temperature where one needs statistical physics anyways.
In the text "Quantum Field Theory" by Itzykson & Zuber (1985) the word 'phase' has 3 entries in the index referring to 'phase space' and 'phase shifts'.

Mentz114 said:
In the text "Quantum Field Theory" by Itzykson & Zuber (1985) the word 'phase' has 3 entries in the index referring to 'phase space' and 'phase shifts'.
Yes, the word is a homonym (and any statistical physics book will discuss phase space too). I'm not familiar with that textbook; it's a shame that it doesn't treat such an interesting aspect of quantum field theory. Perhaps I can recommend the following excellent textbooks which all treat phase diagrams and phase transitions of quantum field theories in detail:

Peskin & Schroeder - An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory
Zinn-Justin - Quantum Field Theory and Critical Phenomena
Polyakov - Gauge Fields and Strings
Kleinert - Critical properties of ##\phi^4## theories

Likes Mentz114
I wonder what is to be seen in the video given by Demystifier.
In the middle or the screen we have the case of the critical point. there are fluctuations at every scale. but fluctuations of what? At a given moment when water is boiling i can see gas bubbles with various sizes.
But at the critical point things become opalescent. gas ans liquid have the same density. So what are the domains in the video at the critical point (and at a greater temperature in the 3d screen)?

Heidi said:
Is it a simulation on a computer?
Yes.

can we say that the simulation shows the shape of the domains in the three screens with artistic contrast between them even when the difference of densities between gas and liquid tends to zero?

Heidi said:
can we say that the simulation shows the shape of the domains in the three screens with artistic contrast between them even when the difference of densities between gas and liquid tends to zero?
I guess we can.

it is possible that the sentence written by the author means that when we look at an equal volume in the two phases we see (at Tc) the same thing. same percentage for every lenth of domains etc. they can be superposed in this sense (they can be swapped).

Last edited:

1. What is superposition of phases?

The superposition of phases is a key concept in quantum field theory (QFT) and statistical physics. It refers to the idea that when two or more quantum states are combined, their phases can add together to create a new state with a different phase. This concept is important in understanding the behavior of particles and systems at the quantum level.

2. How does superposition of phases connect QFT and statistical physics?

The superposition of phases is a fundamental concept that helps bridge the gap between QFT and statistical physics. In QFT, it is used to describe the behavior of particles and fields, while in statistical physics, it is used to understand the behavior of large systems made up of many particles. By understanding how the phases of individual particles combine to create the overall behavior of a system, we can better understand the relationship between these two fields.

3. What are some real-world applications of superposition of phases?

The superposition of phases has many real-world applications, particularly in the fields of quantum computing and quantum information processing. In quantum computing, the concept is used to create quantum algorithms that can solve certain problems much faster than classical computers. In quantum information processing, it is used to encode and manipulate information in quantum systems.

4. How is superposition of phases related to the concept of entanglement?

Entanglement is a phenomenon in which two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other(s). This is closely related to the concept of superposition of phases, as the phases of entangled particles are also combined in a way that cannot be described by classical physics. Both concepts are essential in understanding the behavior of quantum systems.

5. Is superposition of phases a proven concept?

Yes, the concept of superposition of phases is well-established and has been experimentally verified through various experiments in quantum mechanics. It is a fundamental concept in understanding the behavior of particles and systems at the quantum level, and its applications have been demonstrated in various fields of research and technology.