1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PhD application after a year and half out of Master's degree

1. Jan 6, 2014 #1
    I graduated with a Master's degree about a year and a half ago and am considering applying to PhD programs in Canada. During this period, I have been working in a field completely unrelated to my previous education and the PhD programs that I intend to apply. I have mainly been teaching to kids in a developing country, both for money and voluntarily. Does this kind of experience count as positive for Canadian PhD programs? Or, does it in fact hamper my chances?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2014 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's most likely neutral.

Teaching experience can be a positive when applying for positions that include a TA, but it's rarely the kind of thing that will make or break an application.

What really matters is your academic performance up until you finished your master's degree.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook