PhD application after a year and half out of Master's degree

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
renewed
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
I graduated with a Master's degree about a year and a half ago and am considering applying to PhD programs in Canada. During this period, I have been working in a field completely unrelated to my previous education and the PhD programs that I intend to apply. I have mainly been teaching to kids in a developing country, both for money and voluntarily. Does this kind of experience count as positive for Canadian PhD programs? Or, does it in fact hamper my chances?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It's most likely neutral.

Teaching experience can be a positive when applying for positions that include a TA, but it's rarely the kind of thing that will make or break an application.

What really matters is your academic performance up until you finished your master's degree.