Phd in Astrophysics after Masters in Comp Science

• Physics
  • Thread starter HEAT_RS
  • Start date
Hi,

I Have done my Masters in Computer Science from a top 20 universities of USA but I am not satisfied my this, I always wanted to become Astronomical Scientist.

I Have read rules & guidelines, didnt answer my queries.

Q1. How to tough is fit or a computer science graduate to do phd in Astrophysics/Astronomy ?

Q2. How tough is it to get in CALTECH?

Q3. I cant sleep at night thinking about Universe, I have 100+ new theories related to universe to prove something to world, are u all guys like me or I m a unique stupid?????

- Heat RS

Answers and Replies

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
What's your undergraduate degree in? Have you studied any physics?

I did my bachelors of engineering in Information Technology from India.

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
So you have done no undergraduate physics? In which case it will not be possible to do a PhD in Physics/Astrophysics.

So you have done no undergraduate physics? In which case it will not be possible to do a PhD in Physics/Astrophysics.

It will not be possible ? ROFL.

I will do it no matter what I have to learn & for how long.

Thank you so much for prompt replies.

Q1. How to tough is fit or a computer science graduate to do phd in Astrophysics/Astronomy ?

Depends on previous background.

Q2. How tough is it to get in CALTECH?

Quite hard, but there are dozens of other schools.

Q3. I cant sleep at night thinking about Universe, I have 100+ new theories related to universe to prove something to world, are u all guys like me or I m a unique stupid????

You aren't going to be very productive at physics.

The hard part in physics is not to think of new ideas. Thinking of new ideas is easy. The really tough part is to take *one* idea and then develop it, and then let other people worry about the other 99 ideas you have. If you are always thinking of new ideas, you'll never get anything done. You need to worry about focusing on *one* (o.k. maybe *two*) ideas and develop them.

The other hard part is to take the precious idea that you have and then destroy it. Once you have a new idea, your job is to take the idea and try to destroy it with a sledgehammer. If you can't destroy it then you get other people to try to destroy it.

You need some intelligence to do physics, but intelligence isn't the most important quality.

Thanks appreciate the advice .

eri
First, you need to complete the undergraduate physics classes - that includes intro physics I and II (calculus-based), modern physics, classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics & statistical mechanics, quantum mechanics, 2 semesters of math for physicists, linear algebra, and differential equations at the very least. Then you need to do well on the Physics GRE and start applying to grad schools. It would help a lot if you could get some research experience in the field. Then you'd need to complete the masters coursework in physics/astrophysics before proceeding to the PhD - right now, you'd have no shot at all at passing a qualifying exam. CalTech is very difficult to get into; your chances are not good.