1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photo-Source (OLED)& Photo-sensor (pTFT)

1. Mar 21, 2007 #1
    Hello to everybody. This is my first post.

I have a trouble calculating the light illuminance that senses a light sensor.

Analytically. I have a light source (OLED) that is at the same surface as the light sensor (polysilicon-TFT). Also, the emitting area of the source is three or four times larges that the area of the senor. For the light source it is given the luminance from a figure of cd/m^2 to Voltages applied to it. For the light-sensor i have a equation that uses lux (lx) to calculate the production of current from it.
    I need to calculate how much of light (in lux) is sensing the light-sensor from the light source. (assuming that there isn't another light source)

1st Question: The light source is emmitting light to any direction or only straight forward?
    2nd : if straightforward what is the steradian of the emmition? (if it is at any direction, the steredian of the emmition is 2pi)
    3rd : depending of the answer of the 1st question, is the light-sensor sensing any light?

I know that cd/m^2=lm/m^2.sr=lux/sr. if the steradian of the light source is 2pi and the emmitting light luminance is A cd/m^2 the sensed light illumination of the sensor is A*2pi ? Am i right?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2007 #2
    If the source gives 10cd of light to any direction. A sensor of area 100x100um how many lux does it read?

So, the lumens are 10*4pi lm , and the illuminance: 10*4pi/(100um*100um) lux?
    Am i right?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?