Light Fundamentals (3) problems

In summary: Also, you need to find the distance traveled in 42.5 hours, not the speed. The correct answer is:In summary, the distance between the moon and Earth is 3.84 * 10^8 meters and it takes 1.28 seconds for light to travel between them. The sun is 1.5 * 10^8 kilometers from Earth and it takes 0.5 seconds for light to reach us. In problem 1, the correct answer is to use the equation d = vt to find the distance traveled in 42.5 hours, which is 1.53 * 10^14 meters. In problem 2, the correct answer is to use the equation v = d/t to
whitehorsey
1. Light takes 1.28 s to travel from the moon to Earth. What is the distance between them?

2. d= vt

3. d = vt
= 3 * 108(1.28)
= 3.84 * 108m

1.The sun is 1.5 * 108 km from Earth. How long does it take for its light to reach us?

2. d= vt

3. d = vt
t = d/v
= 1.5 * 108/ 3 * 108
= .5s
Did i do these 2 problems right? I'm not sure because it seems to easy.

b]1.Ole Romer found that the maximum increased delay in the appearance of lo from one orbit to the next was 14s.
a. How far does light travel in 14s?
b. Each orbit of lo is 42.5 h. Earth traveled the distance calculated above in 42.5h. Find the speed of Earth in km/s.
c. See if your answer for part b is reasonable. Calculate Earth's speed in orbit using the orbital radius, 1.5 * 108km, and the period, one year. [/b]

2. a/b. d= vt
c. ?

3. a) d = vt
= 3 * 108/14
= .4.2 * 109m

b) d= vt
v = d/t
= 4.2 * 109/42.5
= 98823529.41(3600)
= 3.56 * 1011km/s
c) I do not know if I should use Kepler's Third Law or d= vt to solve this problem.

I have a question for the equation E = P/4pid2. I know that the P represents the luminous flux, but can I put in m/s instead or does it work for lm only and what does lm and lx stand for? :confused:

Thank You! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
The first two are right ;-) They are as easy as they look.

For the third problem, part (a) you got right. Part (b) is mostly right but you need to be more careful with the units. If you're confused, one way to do it is to convert the distance to kilometers and the time to seconds before you divide. In part (c), why would you use Kepler's third law? It relates the orbital radius (a.k.a. semimajor axis) to the orbital period, but you already have both of those numbers. There's no need for you to calculate either of them.

The second problem is wrong. Don't forget your units.

1. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light in a vacuum is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, or about 670,616,629 miles per hour. This is a fundamental constant in physics and is denoted by the symbol c.

2. What is the electromagnetic spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all possible wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation, including radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays. It is a fundamental concept in understanding light and its properties.

3. What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency?

Wavelength and frequency are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as the wavelength increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation c = λν, where c is the speed of light, λ is the wavelength, and ν is the frequency.

4. How does light interact with matter?

Light can interact with matter in various ways, such as absorption, reflection, and refraction. When light is absorbed by matter, it is converted into other forms of energy. Reflection occurs when light bounces off a surface, and refraction is the bending of light as it passes through different mediums.

5. What is the difference between luminosity and brightness?

Luminosity refers to the total amount of light emitted by an object, while brightness is a measure of the perceived intensity of light. Luminosity is an intrinsic property of an object, while brightness can vary depending on factors such as distance and atmospheric conditions.