1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photon emission

1. Feb 9, 2006 #1
    Hey all,

I'm currently in my second QM class, and I have a question about the emission of photons. Last semester, as we studied the wavefunction of a hydrogen electron, the professor briefly mentioned that the energy levels correspond to the observed energies of photons emitted from hydrogen atoms. In general, however, an electron will be in a linear combination of the eigenstates. Since the photon energies are only measured to be discrete, does this mean that the emission of a photon corresponds with a measurement of the electron's energy?

NB: I haven't learned QED yet, so please give me a dumbed-down answer. Thanks. :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2006 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It measures what the electron's energy was before the radiation since
    h\nu=E_i-E_f.

4. Feb 11, 2006 #3

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes! Picture it this way: the superposition of electron eigenstates, through the interaction with the EM field, will result in a superposition of the EM photon states, where each of the terms corresponds to each of the eigenstate-transitions in the hydrogen atom.
    And now you measure, and see one of those photons (application of the measurement postulates).

Symbolic example:

|H-atom> = |psi3> + |psi5>
    (say, superposition of the third and fifth excited state, just for the sake of it).

Interaction with EM field (from the vacuum state) gives you:

|H-atom+EM field> = a |psi0> |photon3> + b |psi0> |photon5> + c |psi1> |photon2> + ...

where the first state in each term gives you the "final" state of the H-atom, and the second state in each term gives you the EM field state (kind of photon you have).

Now you do a "photon" measurement, so, with probability |a|^2, you have the first state (ground state + photon3), with probability |b|^2 you have the second state (ground state + photon5), ...

5. Feb 11, 2006 #4
    Ah, so the photon itself is in a superposition of eigenstates. For some reason, I never considered that possibility. Does that mean that you can determine the state of the electron by measuring the energy of the photon? Is that a form of entanglement?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?