Photons and potential energy wells.

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether photons traveling into a gravitational potential experience blue shifting and those traveling out experience red shifting. It also explores the concept of photons possessing gravitational potential and how this relates to the Schwarzschild radius. The conversation also touches on the topic of energy conservation in general relativity and the effects of time dilation on measured frequencies of light in different gravitational potentials. Finally, there is a discussion about the use of the term "gravitational potential" in general relativity and how it may be more appropriate to use terms such as "effective potential" or "energy at infinity".
Atomos
Silly question:
Are photons traveling down into a potential (i.e. gravitational) energy well blue shifted, and ones traveling out red shifted? In other words, can a photon posses gravitational potential? If so why doesn't a derivation of the Schwarzschild radius using the concept of photon energetics yield the same expression?

given: E = hf, E = mc^2, Ep = -GMm/r

m = Ec^-2 = hf/c^2

hf = GM(hf)/(r * c^2)

1 = GM/(r * c^2)

r = GM/c^2

Rsch = 2GM/c^2

Isn't Rsch the radius of the body?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, there is a (directly verified) colour shift. I would ascribe this more to time dilation than potential energy. If you want a silly [itex]R_{schw.}[/itex] derivation then the quickest way to satisfy you might be calculating the radius where classical projectile escape velocity is the speed of light. When you eventually learn real GR you should understand why the Schwarzschild solution needs to be more complicated, and in particular that its radius coordinate doesn't necessarilly mean what radius traditionally means.

Atomos said:
Silly question:
Are photons traveling down into a potential (i.e. gravitational) energy well blue shifted, and ones traveling out red shifted?

Yes. Note that this is as measured by local clocks.

In other words, can a photon posses gravitational potential?

That's really a different question. It's possible in some circumstances, such as the static Schwarzschild metric, to define an "effective potential".

See for instance http://www.fourmilab.ch/gravitation/orbits/

In addition, you can use the Newtonian potential to approximate the redshift of a photon in a weak gravitational field, but this does not provide any insight into the gravitational field of a strongly gravitating body like a black hole, so the Newtonian potential is of no help in solving the strong field GR problem.

The conservation of energy doesn't provide any shortcuts to learning GR, in fact, learning how (and when) GR conserves energy is a rather advanced subject. For starters, see the sci.physics.faq

http://www.math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/GR/energy_gr.html

Is Energy Conserved in General Relativity?

In special cases, yes. In general -- it depends on what you mean by "energy", and what you mean by "conserved".

Atomos said:
Silly question:
Are photons traveling down into a potential (i.e. gravitational) energy well blue shifted, and ones traveling out red shifted?
Yes.
In other words, can a photon posses gravitational potential?
A photon can posses a gravitational potential energy yes. In the case of a Schwarzschild potential there is an explicit value which is given in an explicit relation. See the derivation at

http://www.geocities.com/physics_world/gr/red_shift.htm

Isn't Rsch the radius of the body?
No. The Schwarzschild radius is that "distance" Rsch from the center of the spherical body to the location of interest. Rsch is measured in terms the radius of the sphere that the point of interest lies on.

Pete

Wait so gravity changes the frequency of photons? :confused:
That is not my understanding of it at all.

Of course it is true that a photon that is measured in a different gravitational potential than the one it was emitted from shows a different frequency but the question is if we can attribute this to gravity.

It seems to me simply a relativistic effect. Last time I checked there was no absolute time and thus no absolute measure of frequency in GR.

Where am I wrong? :confused:

pervect said:
Note that this is as measured by local clocks.
That does not make sense to me. A spaceship traveling from one gravitational potential to another would encounter a change in frequencies of light on board?

Last edited:
MeJennifer said:
Wait so gravity changes the frequency of photons? :confused:
That is not my understanding of it at all.

Of course it is true that a photon that is measured in a different gravitational potential than the one it was emitted from shows a different frequency but the question is if we can attribute this to gravity.

It seems to me simply a relativistic effect. Last time I checked there was no absolute time and thus no absolute measure of frequency in GR.

Where am I wrong? :confused:
You are not wrong.

The photon is traveling along a null-geodesic, no forces are acting on it, no work is being done by it, it does not suffer gravitational potential energy changes. GPE is an inappropriate term to use in GR where free falling bodies experience no forces.

The change in frequency observed is a time dilation effect, where the time is measured and compared between clocks at different levels in the gravitational well. This time dilation is an effect of space-time curvature and as a consequence energy is not locally conserved in GR.

Garth

Garth said:
You are not wrong.

The photon is traveling along a null-geodesic, no forces are acting on it, no work is being done by it, it does not suffer gravitational potential energy changes. GPE is an inappropriate term to use in GR where free falling bodies experience no forces.

The change in frequency observed is a time dilation effect, where the time is measured and compared between clocks at different levels in the gravitational well. This time dilation is an effect of space-time curvature and as a consequence energy is not locally conserved in GR.

Garth

I agree that gravitational potential energy is an inaproriate term to use in GR, except perhaps when one is doing a Newtonian or post-Newtonian approximation, and usually one then talks about the Newtonian potential to avoid confusion.

"Effective potential" and "energy at infinity" are OK (and have slightly different meanings, the last concept is probalby closest to what the OP had in mind).

I'm not sure that the O.P. has the background to appreciate these fine points, but I'm glad someone else objects to the idea of "gravitational potential" in GR.

Of course I still think it's simpler (and logically equivalent) to say that the photon redshifts as measured by local clocks. More on this in the next post.

Last edited:
MeJennifer said:
re: redshift as measured by local clocks:

That does not make sense to me. A spaceship traveling from one gravitational potential to another would encounter a change in frequencies of light on board?

The frequency or energy of a photon always depends on the frame of reference.

When one measures a free-falling photon with any clock, one has to implicitly or explictly set up a frame of reference for the measurement to make sense.

In this case, the frame of reference that I "set up" imagines observers that are "stationary", i.e. at constant Schwarzschild coordinates, and that these observers, using their local onboard clocks, each measure the frequency of a free-falling photon as it falls by them.
These observers get different numbers - they observe that the photons redshift.

I really don't see what's confusing about this. As measured by local clocks, the photons do redshift.

These observers also observe that their clocks tick at different rates given that one defines a way in which observers at different spatial locations compare clock rates. But to make this statement operationally meaningful takes work as well - one has to imagine that these observers are at constant Schwarzschild coordinates, as before, and that they rely on the fact that the geometry is static to insure constant travel times to carry out their sychronization procedures. Making these assumptions, the observers then find that their clocks tick at different rates, and that this is essentially the same effect as "gravitational redshift" under a different name.

Thank you for your responses. I only have a high school background in physics, but thank you for providing me with interesting things to think about.

1. What are photons?

Photons are particles of light that are responsible for carrying electromagnetic energy. They have no mass and travel at the speed of light.

2. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the stored energy an object possesses due to its position or configuration. It is typically measured in Joules (J) and can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy.

3. How do photons interact with potential energy wells?

Photons can be absorbed or emitted by atoms when they interact with potential energy wells. The energy of the photon must match the energy difference between the atom's initial and final energy states in order for the interaction to occur.

4. What is a potential energy well?

A potential energy well is a region in space where the potential energy of a particle is lower than its surrounding environment. This can be caused by an attractive force, such as gravity, or by a change in the electric or magnetic fields.

5. How do photons behave in potential energy wells?

Photons can be confined to potential energy wells, leading to phenomena such as total internal reflection in optics. They can also be trapped in energy wells, causing them to bounce back and forth and form standing waves.