Photon's emmited by a 100w bulb.

• Thread starter Seda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bulb
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the number of visible photons emitted per second by a 100w bulb, assuming that 5% of its power is radiated in the visible spectrum. The suggested approach is to use the lowest and highest wavelengths of visible light to calculate a range of photons emitted, or to use the average wavelength of visible light as an estimate.
Seda
This is my question verbatim:

"If 5% of the power of a 100w bulb is radiated in the visible spectrum, how many visible photons are radiated per second?"

My work:Obviously, 5% of 100w is 5w, or obviously, 5 J/s.So the bulb is emanating 5 J of visble light per second.Now, I could easily solve this if I knew exactly what frequency (or wavelength) of visible light this bulb was emanating, but I don't. If I knew the frequency, I could simply use

E (per photon) = hf where h is Planck's constant.

And then simply do 5 J / E (per photon) = # of photons.But I'm not given a frequency, and wavelength, or even what type of bulb this is.

Any ideas?

Mabye I should use the lowest and highest wavelengths of visible light and just give a range of photons...

Physics news on Phys.org
For a problem of this sort, just using the wavelength in the middle of the visible range (as an "average" visible photon) is probably sufficient.

I would suggest approaching this problem by using the concept of energy conservation. We know that the total energy emitted by the bulb is 5 J/s, and this energy is distributed among all the photons emitted. Therefore, we can use the equation E = hc/λ, where h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, and λ is the wavelength, to calculate the average energy per photon.

Once we have the average energy per photon, we can use the fact that the power of a light source is equal to the number of photons emitted per unit time multiplied by the average energy per photon. So, we can rearrange the equation to find the number of photons emitted per second, which would give us the answer to the question.

In order to find the average energy per photon, we can use the fact that the visible spectrum ranges from approximately 400-700 nm in wavelength. We can take the average of these two values (550 nm) and use it in the equation. This will give us an approximate value for the average energy per photon.

It is important to note that this calculation will give us an average number of photons emitted per second. In reality, the number of photons emitted per second will vary depending on the specific wavelength of each photon. However, this approach will give us a reasonable estimate of the number of photons emitted in the visible spectrum from a 100w bulb.

In summary, to answer the question, we would need to use the concept of energy conservation and the equation E = hc/λ to calculate the average energy per photon. Then, we can use the relationship between power, number of photons, and energy per photon to estimate the number of visible photons emitted per second from a 100w bulb.

1. What is the difference between a photon and a 100w bulb?

A photon is a particle of light, while a 100w bulb is a source of light that emits photons.

2. How many photons are emitted by a 100w bulb?

The number of photons emitted by a 100w bulb depends on the type of bulb and its efficiency, but on average, it can emit around 10^20 photons per second.

3. How does the energy of a photon emitted by a 100w bulb compare to other light sources?

The energy of a photon from a 100w bulb is directly related to its wavelength. Compared to other light sources, a 100w bulb emits photons with a relatively low energy, as it emits mostly infrared and visible light.

4. Can the number of photons emitted by a 100w bulb be changed?

The number of photons emitted by a 100w bulb can be changed by adjusting the voltage or current flowing through the bulb. However, the type of bulb and its efficiency also play a role in the number of photons emitted.

5. How does the emission of photons from a 100w bulb affect the environment?

The emission of photons from a 100w bulb contributes to light pollution, which can have negative effects on wildlife and human health. It also consumes energy and contributes to carbon emissions, making it important to use energy-efficient light sources.