Quantum Physics: Calculating Photons/s

In summary, the question asks about the number of photons emitted per second by a 75 W incandescent light bulb with 5% of its energy being emitted as visible light with a wavelength of 597 nm and a frequency of 5.02e+14 Hz. The equation used is E=hf, and the correct answer is 2.252e20 photons/s, taking into account the 5% emission factor.
TJDF

Homework Statement

I have another question,
An incandescent light bulb consuming 75 W emits only 5% of this energy as visible light of wavelength 597 nm; the frequency of the emitted light is 5.02e+14 Hz. How many photons per second of this light does the bulb emit?

Homework Equations

E = hf

The Attempt at a Solution

E = (6.626068e-34)x(5.02513e14 Hz)= 3.3297e-28 J/photon

75 W = 75 J/s

(75 J/s)/(3.3297e-28 J/photon) = 2.252e29 photon/s

but... I'm wrong... I don't know why.

Physics news on Phys.org
oops... 3.3297e-28 is actually 3.3297e-19...

but that gives me 2.252e20 photons/s, which is still marked as incorrect, am I still missing something?

oops, forgot the 5%, got it now.

1. What is Quantum Physics?

Quantum Physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a subatomic level. It explores the principles and laws that govern the behavior of particles such as photons, electrons, and atoms.

2. How are photons calculated in Quantum Physics?

Photons are calculated using the equation E=hf, where E is the energy of the photon, h is Planck's constant, and f is the frequency of the photon. This equation is known as the Planck-Einstein relation and is a fundamental principle in Quantum Physics.

3. Can photons be created or destroyed in Quantum Physics?

In Quantum Physics, photons are considered to be fundamental particles and cannot be created or destroyed. However, they can be transformed into other forms of energy, such as heat or electricity, through various processes.

4. How does Quantum Physics explain the behavior of photons?

In Quantum Physics, photons are described as both particles and waves, known as wave-particle duality. This means that photons can behave like particles with a defined position and momentum, but also exhibit wave-like properties such as interference and diffraction.

5. What are some practical applications of calculating photons in Quantum Physics?

Quantum Physics has many practical applications, including the use of photons in technologies such as lasers, solar cells, and fiber optics. It has also led to development in quantum computing, cryptography, and medical imaging techniques such as MRI.